If your blood work came back positive for problems.. would you have an amnio?

Personally no i wouldnt.. to many risks i would just rather leave in the hands of the creator then take the risks.. my mom had to make this choice when they said my little brother could have downs.. she opted against the amnip even thought the blood work said he had like a 1in 50 chance (or something like that) Guess what he is 12 now and perfcetly fine... i just wondoulnt risk it cuz i wouldnt termiante anyways btw i am prochoice and that is my choice

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did not let them do the bloodwork because I would never consent to an amnio and if there were something wrong, I would never terminate. The blood tests also have a very high margin of error. I just did not see the point in paying for a blood test that would have meaningless results.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I most likely would, but only to be able to prepare my self and my family, and research the condition baby could possibly have so i made educated choices, rather than emotional ones. I would not terminate the pregnancy regardless of the problem.
    amb_josh

Answer by amb_josh at 12:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would & did twice my mind was more at ease for the rest of my pregnancy, I'm 35 so I wanted it done for my own piece of mind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would be too scared to. It would just be too much of a risk for me to take. I guess I just wouldn't know about the problems until the baby came out...
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I skipped the triple screen because it's too often wrong and went straight to the amnio. And yes, I did have every intention of terminating if there was a serious problem because I know what my husband and I can handle and cannot.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• nope. I would never kill my child so it wouldn't matter what they had.... the amnio is too dangerous for the baby to risk it. And they aren't even always accurate. Neither are the blood tests. I would pray that the tests were wrong and my child was healthy but I would love him or her just the same if they did have some sort of disability or problem....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'd also like to add that I think its kind of messed up for people who wanted a child to pick and choose if they still want it if it doesn't turn out to be just what they wanted (meaning perfect)....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I opted not to have the blood work done because I wouldn't have had the amnio and I didn't want to stress myself out for the rest of the pregnancy if the blood work came back positive.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Nope. We had bloodwork come back positive for 'Trisomy 18 and wouldn't do the amnio to find ou for sure.. we just let it in god's hands. We lost her at 30 weeks but an amnio wouldn't have made me change my mind, I still would have carried her.. So i would have been pointless.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I dont have the bloodwork done and i would never agree to an amnio. The bloodtests are not reliable at all and in my opinion the risks of an amnio are to high.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2009