I know with all the questions I've asked lately yall think im clueless, but my 4 year old son is totally outta control screaming kicking cussing throwing things fighting with other kids hitting n kicking me everytime he doesnt get his way or gets mad. what can i do????

Marci48

Asked by Marci48 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My nephew was doing the same when his parents separated he was put in therapy for all his anger issues. He is now able to express himself much better without acting out.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The first thing to recognize is that your little boy is asking for help. Kids aren't able to regulate their emotions like adults (& even some of us aren't so good at it!) and this little guy sure sounds like he has alot of built-up frustration and/or anger. I would definitely encourage you to seek the advice of a therapist - if you don't know how to find one, you can call your MD's office and ask if they have any suggestions or find out if there are any family counseling clinics in your area. Be prepared, though. Unless your son has something wrong with him (head injury, learning disability), the onus is likely going to fall on you to change the way you deal with him, handle your own emotions, and examine the relationships and environment he's growing up in. THis can sometimes be very painful to have to look at. You're on the right track, though - you obviously care about your son & wnat what's best for him. Good luck!
    Evansmomintexas

Answer by Evansmomintexas at 1:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Buy a belt and use it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would find a local hospital or agency that offers therapy for your child to help him learn to deal with his anger. He needs to see a psychologist and you need some guidence on how to handle his outbursts! Without us knowing what is going on in his life and what happens before and after the outbursts, we cannot really give you accurate information. Seek the advice of a professional and as stated above, be prepared to be the one who has to change their behavior because if you keep on doing things the same way, you will get the same results.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You have to be consistent with him. Maybe you should give him a timeout to let him get himself back together. That's what I have done in the past! And it really works. Or take away his fav. toy for a few hours.
    SouthernMOM1981

Answer by SouthernMOM1981 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My nephew is JUST like this, but there is no help for that child. Therapy, spanking, time out, writing "I will not...." fifty times. Nothing works. A lot of it is a cry for attention. Part may be a need for a schedule or more discipline or more responsibility. Where does he get the bad behavior (IE, the cussing, the hitting, fighting)? I know in my nephews case, he hears his mom cuss, she threatens to spank him if he doesn't do what she wants, she has arguments in front of him, and he gets a lot of his "wanting to kill things" from movies and shows on TV.
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 10:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• When he starts his so called "attitude"thats what I call it.Put him in time out.Sending to his room doesnt help,there are toys and things for him to do in there.Putting them in a chair doesnt work cuz they just bounce up and down.The thing that worked the best for me was:I make him stand up and face a wall,put his nose to it and his hands on the wall too above his head and stand there.If he screams,talks,or turns around he stands there longer.My son is the exact same way and really embarrased me at the doctors one day doing all of that.Good luck to you and let me know how everything goes.Also try and figure out why or when it gets worse.My son got worse everytime he went to his cousins house he came home worse.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009