Anti Bark Collars for dogs

We have a dog who is barking a lot at night. She is great during the day, but from about 1 AM - 6 AM she barks a lot. She is not barking at people or intruders, more like cats, wind, playing, etc. We tried a shock collar on her and her skin reacted to the probes. Of course, we took the collar off, treated her skin and haven't put the collar back on. Now we need a new solution to the late night/early morning barking.

Has anyone used non-shock antibark collars such as citronella or ultrasonic? If so, did they work. She is an Australian shepard and gets pleanty of attention and exercise during the day. I don't want to have to crate her everynight, but I can't have her disrupting the neighbors sleep. Any other suggestions on how to stop the barking would be great!

mandamitch

Asked by mandamitch at 11:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pets

• THERE THIS THING YOU CAN GET AT PETSMART, ITS IN THE SAME AISLE AS THE BARK COLLARS. IT LOOKS LIKE A BIRD HOUSE AND IT HAS A LITTLE MICROPHONE THING ON IT, WHEN THE DOG BARKS IT THEN MAKES A SOUND THAT ONLY DOGS CAN HEAR, IT DOESNT HURT ITS JUST AN ANNOYING SOUND, I HAD TO BUY ONE FOR MY DOG. ITS SPECIFICLY FOR NONSENSE BARKING, AFTER ABOUT FIVE MINUTES HE QUIT BARKING. THE BOOKLET THAT CAME WITH IT SAID IT WOULD TAKE UP TO 2 WEEKS TO START WORKING, I GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW STUBBORN YOUR DOG IS. GOOD LUCK.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• mandilynn...how much does that cost?
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:04 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Maybe I will try one of those. I wonder how large of a range they have. It would be nice if it would work on the neighbor's dogs also! :)
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 12:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• They cost 50 dollars. You can find it if you go to petsmart.com
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 1:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The noise things work. Shock collars SUCK.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 10:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Those things are just as inhumane. Imagine someone screaming high pitched noises in your ear.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• if you dont want your dog to bark..learn to be odminant and train them
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Get a little spray bottle, fill it with water and every time your dog barks, spray his face. After a while they hate the spray so much they keep quiet. It worked with my friends Beagle who bayed and howled. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• Spraying them with water and being dominant will only work if you are right there to do it immediately. If you are in bed and have to wake up, get up, go outside and then try to disipline them, it doesn't work too well.
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 12:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• shock collars I do not believe in at all.... I think the citronella spray collars might be your best bet.... I know they have them at wal-mart starting at 40 bucks.... The ultrasonic could be a good idea as well... I may try that for my dog who never shuts his little face. lol

Personally, I think the ultrasonic & citronella are a hell of alot more humane then the shock collars. Just remember, JUST because know-it-alls on cafemom tell you that you "dont know how to train your dog" doesnt make it true.... I know how to train my dog, but he's still a little jerk sometimes. SOME dogs just have behavioral issues and it needs to be taken care of other then "being dominant" ... even the oh so majestic Dog Whisperer says this, lol.

Good luck!
    Laura4807

Answer by Laura4807 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009