My 12 year old son has terrible body odor.

I have a 12 year old son who has really bad body odor. It took us awhile but we finally found a deo that works for his under arm odor. He actually uses clinical strength Degree for women. He now has really bad b.o. in his testicle area. He keeps the hair trimmed really low or he shaves it all off. I have actully watched him bathe just to make sure he is bathing properly. He has tried putting deo and powder down there but nothing works. He's tried soaking in baking soda and also vinegar. I don't know what else to do for him. I want to get it under control so that he is not made fun of at school. I think I might have to take him to the doctor. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be great.

sweetbamabrown

Asked by sweetbamabrown at 12:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh you are so good to help him figure this out. I was thinking the deodorant/antipersperant for the groin area but I actually think you could just place a candid call into the doc and explain the issue and what you've done to try to help. Could just be hormones and his age and he'll outgrow it. But I'd just call the doc. Good luck!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• One thing I would consider is whether he is bathing so thoroughly when you're NOT watching him. Kids this age typically simply don't care much about bathing. My 12yo stepson was faking showering - getting wet, but not actually soaping up, shampooing, etc. I would do a quick "smell check" when he gets our of the shower and dresses - sniff his hair and his arm or another random body part - they should smell soapy and fresh. If he IS bathing well on his own, then by all means consult a doctor to find out what's going on. Best of luck!
    Evansmomintexas

Answer by Evansmomintexas at 2:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Uh... you have seen your 12yo shaved privates. My son would just DIE. Isn't that a little young to be trimming pubic hair?

Hopefully his dad is in the picture and can talk to him about hygenie. I agree with the post that said boys at this age don't care. My 13 yo step-son trys to fake showering or brushing his teeth. He could careless if he stinks or has bad breath. We just have to stay on top of him. Boys care more when they start to like girls.
    Anonymous

• Get him some body wash for men. Also, have him take a shower instead of a bath. When you take a bath, you are sitting in dirty water. Boys his age will stink no matter what you do, it is their hormones being messed up from puberty. Make sure he is completely dry before putting on clean underware. If he is in sports and wears protection, make sure it is cleaned when he takes it off. The "nut cups" can be washed in the dishwasher. Make sure he cleans thoroughly after playing sports or sweating a lot. Let him sit in his room without pants on so he gets some air. Trimming down there is not going to help with the smell, it is mainly his hormones going crazy. Sit in any middle school classroom or gym and the smell will knock you on your butt. It is just gross.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• This is why us girls dubbed the phrase: "boyz smell". lol

I have a 10 year old whose body odor hasn't quite kicked in yet, though it's starting to, but he hates socks sooooo...his feet reek. It's a horrible smell. He'll stink up a room. I recently bought him deodorant AND gold bond medicated powder for body and feet. But he hates showering, hates using socks.. wears the same shirt.. ugh, it's gross.

It sounds like you're doing all that you can. Kudos to you for staying on top of it. Like the other moms said, it's possible he's not cleaning well enough when you're not watching. Showers are definitely better. He may need to shower mornings and evenings, or after a workout/sports. It's definitely the hormones kicking in. Ugh I am dreading it myself.

I've been told that once a boy discovers a girl, he will scrub himself silly to smell fresh for her. LOL.

Good luck.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 1:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have a soon to be 12 yr old boy and we are experiencing similar things- hormones play a huge factor in all this- he plays baseball& sweats like crazy- we have tried something new for the shower called DIAL- 3D ODOR DEFENSE BODY WASH & AXE-DEO- BODYSPRAY- AFTER SHOWERING AND KEEPS IT IN HIS SPORTS BAG - I also tried something new last night a few moms recomended - baking soda mixed with CALDESENE POWDER- this powder has zinc in it to reduce chaffing etc.... To get him to shower more thorough I bought this mens body scrub-puff to put the body washes onto -my son is also starting with a little body acne as well and is using the OXY line of - wash , scrub & pads- it seems to help. Let' face it - hormones - body odor- it's hard being a tween- teen and going thru all this but having a great mom like you makes all the difference! Keep up the great work!!! Hope this helps.
    daisylu2

Answer by daisylu2 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I saw a show about this on TLC, I think the show was called 'Mystery Diagnosis'. This girl would take 2-6 showers a day, use 3 different deordorants, had her sweat glands removed, and she still smelled. I don't know the same of medical condition, but basically certain foods that she ate, while the foods were being excreted through her liver and kidneys, it would go out of her pores. There's also a web-based support group for the "stinky" condition.

Look up on TLC 'the girl that stunk' or some title like that.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Try cuting a lomen in half and rubbing it on the area I leaned that froma lady because my son had
    the bad body oder to you can also try a sports mans deoderant. my son it 12 years old to and has hair in thows area hope this helps.
    AZM

Answer by AZM at 10:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It is a medical fact that mothers find their son's odor offensive--think of it as a genetic anti-incest device. So it is you with the problem; not your son. Stop torturing him and telling him he smells. You are the only person who is bothered by the smell. There is a great deal of research about this--ask your doctor.
    skinnygreen

Answer by skinnygreen at 1:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The powder Pinaud, (it is used by barbers on the neck area after haircut) works GREAT! While other powders tend to cake up, this is a talic, so it is finer. Works for my husband who is a police officer and has to ride/sit for the better part of 12 hrs.
    jandbsmom2001

Answer by jandbsmom2001 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2013