How often should I brush my eighteen month old's teeth?

He has nine teeth and the 6 in front have black stains just beneath the gumline. We brush his teeth 3 times a day. We were using a toothbrush made for his age but he kept kicking it out with his tongue as soon as he's sucked all of the toothpaste off. So we started using a finger toothbush and still he would kick it out after sucking off the toothpaste. Now we've started brushing with the finger toothbrush - first without toothpaste (which he allows) and then with toothpaste. But the stains are still there. Are we brushing too much? Not enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most dentists say to brush after every meal or at least 2 times a day, for 2 minutes each time you brush.
    I think you are doing great! toothpaste takes a while to get used to. so does the toothbrush itself. keep it up. consistancy is key.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I try to get my dd done once a day. It's very hard to do. The kicking and screaming and crying and pushing and then she closes her mouth so I can't get in there. So I try every few hours and eventually accomplish her whole mouth. I put the toothpaste on and she sucks it off but during that time I'm trying to brush and then it gets on her teeth at least!
    Sounds to me like you're doing fine! if you're really worried about it, take him to the dentist
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

That's sounds exactly like my dd. She just found my spin brush in a drawer. I bought it and tried and didn't like it. Well she loves it. She was actually brushing her teeth on her own last night which is like a miracle with her.
    beanerbecky

Answer by beanerbecky at 8:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Brushing should be 2 times a day, after meals = Breakfast and Dinner. Have you taken your son to a Dentist yet? Little ones can start going to the Dentist at the age of 12 Months! Sounds like a Dentist needs to check your son out, because what your describing on his teeth does not sound normal and can lead to problems in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Actually it does sound normal. It can be very difficult to get you little one to sit still longer than 10 seconds to brush. You are doing all that you can do. These aren't permanent teeth so don't fret to much. Right now you are helping him develope good practice, twice a day is efficient. It probably wouldn't hurt to take him to the dentist to start getting him use to it and the dentist can give you helpful pointers. As long as he doesn't have cavities then you are doing great! My sons teeth aren't pearly white either.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• twice a day
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009