Anyone on Cafemom ever been to Virginia Beach?

I am considering relocating and want to go to a state with a beach. I have looked up property's and they are a bit high, but I am curious about the beaches and your personal experience living or vacationing there. I have read some reviews and the locals are defending it , but some visitors are talking about there being alot of homeless people and it's very expensive not all ther reviews were bad so.... Please give me your opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have visited and lived there... like any area, it just depends on where at you move to... i personally loved it :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• JuLiAnSmOmMy317, how long ago did you live and vaca there? Did you think the beaches were dirty? what about the homeless on the beach and boardwalk and the pricey food I keep reading about on the reviews. what part did you live at?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I've never lived, only vacationed, but the homeless people were everywhere and one of them followed us...He wasn't harmful in any way, not all there mentally, it was just annoying cause we really didn't have any cash... the beach wasn't as nice as some i've been to in sc or cali but its not completely gross. The food was def. pricey, but thats because we were vacationing in a high tourist area, i'm sure if you lived there and new about the local restaurants it wouldn't be so bad
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i lived there in 07 while the hubs (not yet married then) was in italy (army)..... i didnt think the beaches were dirty... i lived litterally 5 min. walk from one and went ALL the time...

there is going to be pricey food where ever big vaca. spots our... grocery stores and things like that were normal tho...

i didnt see a bunch of homeless on the beach.. only a few at night... but not that big of a deal... i have never been bothered by them... they have nothing, i dont see a big deal with them walking the beach like everyone else :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• are*
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Did any of you go to chicks beach? overall would you say yay or nay to living there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We lived in Va Beach for 4 years when my hubby was stationed in Portsmouth. We didn't go to the beaches very often because during the summers they were filled with tourists and it was difficult to find a parking spot. Our favorite time to go was during the off-peak season when all was quiet, but it was too cold to swim. During those seasons the beach was always kept clean and the boardwalk was always a nice walk, but we never shopped in any of the touristy stores. We aren't into the touristy thing.
    The beach we always went to was the one located on Little Creek base, which was right across the street from where we lived, and that was a nice spot.
    As far as restaurant prices - the farther you go from the beach area, the more reasonable the prices become. Va Beach is an easy city to maneuver around when you have a map and there is so much they have to offer besides the beach.
    Visit:
    http://www.virginia.org/home.asp
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009