Can bad Diarrhea cause a baby to be lactose intolerant temporarily?

So my Daughter Ava who is 12 months was really sick about a month ago with the rotovirus. She had such bad diarrhea that they had to admit her to the hosp to give her fluids. Well the Dr said that when a baby looses fluids his/her body acts as though it's lactose intolerant and not to give her anything milk based for 2 weeks. Well like I said it has been 4 weeks and I tried giving her yogurt today and her tummy was going crazy and then she had diarrhea about 30 min later. Has anyone else heard of this? Will she be lactose intolerant forever? She loves milk, cheese and yogurt. I am calling the Dr to make her an appt tomorrow but any answers would be most helpful. Thanks for reading!

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, because when you have diarrhea it takes away all the good bacteria in your stomach. That is what usually causes pains. Like when you take antibiotic.. you tend to get a stomach ache.. same concept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009