anti-vaccination foster moms.

Is there such a thing?
I'll be adopting my little brother through dependant care. Which means i'll be his foster mom before i get to adopt him. Will i be allowed to delay/select his vaccines as a foster parent? He is supposed to sart kindergarten this fall. We live in California.
If anyone knows anything that might help me it woud be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• I am a non vaxxing parent who adopted through the foster care system. In my state, and I'm willing to bet it's the same in others, foster parents cannot make the choice not to vax, they don't have the authority to make med. decisions, that power lies with the state worker and bio parent. My kiddos were three days old when they came to me and I had to have them vaxxed until their adoption was final 14 months later, at which time I ceased all immunizations. Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 2:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i would vaccinate sweetie one less thing for you to worry about. God Bless just do not get the flu vaccine or the rotto vaccine/ rotto may cause them to get sick at too young an age but the rest our safe i got them for my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• safe in your opinion. Not safe in mine. And if i dont stand up for this i'll forever worry about if i did the right thing. Standing up for what i believe in, has to be the right thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the good luck.

Our mom is dead so she cannot make that choice. ...It will be up to the state worker?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I believe that all foster children do have to be vaccinated. They go by state guidelines. Of course I don't live in California, but I would ask your worker to be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Good luck with everything.
    Our foster kids HAD to go by state guidelines - even a few of their 'original' families religious beliefs couldn't go against the state guidelines.
    I hope everything works out okay for you. Your brother is lucky to have you.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 10:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If he's foster care, it's not up to you to decide if/when he gets vaccinated...it's up to the state. Once he's your adopted son, you can do whatever you wish, but until then, do what they say or they can take him from your home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• With the bio mother dead and the child being your brother you may be able to file for the right to make medical decisions. There is a way for foster parents to be granted that right, most of the time when the child is so ill or injured that decisions need to be made quickly or so often that it would be detrimental to wait for approval from the state worker. But one thing I learned when adopting from the system is to always ask if there is a way to make something happen. There is always someone who can grant an exception to the basic guidelines.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You will have to vacc.
    Anonymous

• If he is due to start kindergarten already then he should already either have had all of his vaccinations, or have a waiver filed with the school. You would have already enrolled him in kindergarten months ago so hopefully he is all caught up on vaccinations or else the state will have to sign the waiver with the school. It is required by law to vaccinate in Cali in order to enroll in school however... it is possible for parents (or guardians) to file a waiver and not vaccinate. Seems stupid to me to require it if parents can make the choice to expose MY child to their childs potential illnesses just because they dont believe in vaccinating.

Personally, I do believe that vaccination should be a choice. But I feel VERY strongly that if a parent chooses to not vaccinate, that their child should not be allowed to enroll in school and that they should have to homeschool. My son doesnt deserve to be exposed to illnesses
    Anonymous