What qualities in a school are most important to you when it comes to your childs education?

I'm curious what other mothers find most important in their children's education. What do you love/hate about your childs current schooling situation?
I'm a first time mother and looking into schooling options for my child. I'm sure there is plenty for me to learn and you moms can give me some great insight on what makes a school wonderful or not! Homeschoolers please leave comments too! All Moms opinions mean a lot to me :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• a Christian school with teachers that back up the Bible principles is the best quality a parent could ask for... Train up a child in the way he should go is what My school had on its sign when I enrolled my son and the kids are so much more orderly and respectful I do not worry about him at all!

PS try to get a Baptist Church/school and scholarships!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I look at the curiculum and class sizes. My sons kindergarten class had 14 students and the gaduating class of 46 was large for the school. Plus the curiculum is advanced. Smaller class sizes means each child gets more one on one attention from the teacher and problems are addressed early on.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 1:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Student/teacher ratio. Being able to learn at their own pace & in the way that best suits them. The ability for the child to be an individual & learn through pursuit of their own interests. Creative learning techniques (crafts, projects, hands-on, field trips, real-life situations, etc.) Being able to socialize with people beyond their own age/grade level. Remaining "uninstitutionalized" (walking in a straight line everywhere you go, having to ask for permission to speak, eat, drink, or make a potty run, etc.).

These are just some of the reasons we choose homeschooling. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Through all of the schools because of moves and redistricitng in different towns we've been in - the most important things in education ..even if you feel your child doesn't fit the role of a child bullied now or a special ed child one actually doesn't know about those situations often until in them actually-

Most important is a school with an active practicing antibully policy that covers on grounds and the effects of bullying on a bullied child by another same school child, off school grounds. My town has an incredible anti bullying policy in place covering those scenarios plus internet bullying. I also look for inclusion for different family types meaning financial income and also single parents and also families with special education children and those with other family lifestyles too --teaching and practicing respect and selfrespect for all w/in the school family and outside it too are most important. Have it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Diversity - and it is noticiable. The school we are zoned for is almost equal in terms of black/white ratio. Also high Asian and Russian population. Then their is a good number of Latino students and a fair number under "other." The staff is also very diverse. It is also ranked second in the area for academics but really most would argue that it is first. Politics in who is second and who is first. The principal is super friendly and the kids adore him. They also have a Montessori program available should some parents want their child to participate. This would be our public school choice.

Currently he is in a Montessori school that follows the philosophy down to the letter. That is a good fit for him and I would not have it any other way. The only thing I would want more of is more diversity across the board. Mostly privledged children due to tuitiion and majority is white.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• number one issue i look for is a small class size and a school where all the employees speak english around my area that is hard to find. (i dont care if they are bi lingual but they must be fluent in english) another thign i look for is a school that has a good program for all ends of the spectrum they have a good gifted progam as well as a good special education progam. also they must have arts and music alot of schools are doing away with this and it is very important for a young child. another thing disipline is huge they need to keep order in the school i have wokred as a teacher and there are some schools i wont go back to for fear of my own personal saftey so my son will never attend a school like that. well theres alot more too but ill leave it there
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have just decided to remove my son from the public school system. There is such a discipline problem there that at the end of 5th grade they had barely covered things I learned in 4th. We are going to online schooling. It offers so much more including foreign language at the elementary level. My son has Autism, and has also endured torture from his classmates. I wish you well in your search.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I homeschool, and like the flexibility it offers. My kids can both learn at THEIR speed, going as fast or a slow as needed on each and every subject. We can also study interests to a much greater depth. My 11 yr old son wanted to learn Algebra and Arabic, so that is what he studied. Flexibility means we can spend entire days at the Science Museum or the Natural History Museum, and we can go repeatedly if we want. My kids also have more time to socialize, because homeschooling only takes up 2-3 hours a day. Their afternoons are spent skiing with the homeschool group during the winter, at the park with their friends during the summer, going on field trips, playing with the neighbors; or just having the free time at home to be kids.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my son isn't even in preschool yet, but some of the things that I will be looking for when he starts elementary school will be small class size, teachers with advanced degrees, a sense of community, and a child-centered, progressive philosophy. so, basically, we will be shelling out for private school.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OP here. We are very concerned with the public schools in our area. Thats why I asked. I wanted to ask the right questions when I looked into private schools and I'm even considering homeschooling. To mancosmama one of my concerns about homeschooling is that my son is an only child and he wouldn't have normal social skills if I homeschooled. I saw you said homeschooling groups... how do you find groups like the one you are in? It sounds like a good solution. Thanks a ton moms. I agree the teachers education, class size etc are very important to me too! Love the insight! If you think of anything else please let me know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009