Need tips for mediation fast.

My ex has scheduled mediation for Wednesday, I received the letter from his attorney today when I picked up my mail from the post office.
I had an attorney for our parenting plan, so i've never been to mediation.
We had a very abusive relationship, emotional and verbal. So, I'm still very intimidated by him.
I don't know what to expect or how to prepare. And I can't afford an attorney on my own.
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Ithink mediation is supposed to have emotional and legal support for both parties in a divorce. You need to call your lead mediator and ask for help. Mediation is for when there's little animosity between a married couple to make divorce easier. Talk to your mediator about your concerns. it sounds like your soon ex is going to do all he can to offset you. Why not go through legal aid or a women's help center like Displaced Homemakers for a lawyer? Be careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm not sure what mediation is. Is this part of a divorce? Part of custody?
    In a lot of cases, if it's divorce, you can make him pay for your legal fees.
    I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Sorry I can't help you.
    If I felt intimidated by him and there's reported history of abuse, I'd find some way to get a lawyer there with me, or to do this mediation in writing instead of verbal, or between the two lawyers.
    Call a lawyer first thing in the morning and see what kind of answers you can get about help paying for attorney, and what you need to do.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't know if it's different in every state, but in TX you aren't even in the same room, at least for custody. We had a mediator go between two different rooms for our court ordered mediation for custody. Neither of our lawyers were there. However they both reviewed our agreements. If you don't have a lawyer you don't have to have them review an agreement, you can just sign it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Personally I would NOT take an attorney to mediation. I say that bc all the times I've gone to anything legal like that MY RIGHTS had to be protected bc I had no legal representation and the judge acted as my attorney. I would imagine it's the same in mediation. They have to make it as balanced as they can. Make sure you ask the mediator lots of questions before you agree to anything. He/she is usually an attorney or trained in the legal field. If you feel better with an attorney at least contact Legal Aid and see if they can show up for it or reschedule.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• http://resources.rbc.org/odb/pda/ to heLP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009