Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bipolar issues, please help

my dd's godfather is currently living with us. He is bipolar and needs medication....

He doesnt have health insurance and hasnt had it since turning 19 (so about a year)... latly he has picked up the habit of smoking weed to calm himself down... he has been very stressed with trying to find a job for the last 9 months, being a "bigger" guy, and not having a girlfriend when everyone around him seems to have someone (apparently i dont count lol)...

so if anyone has some info on what we can do, maybe diet changes that will help the bipolar or whatever random things u got, let me know...

i just want him to be happy...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

Answers (10)
  • Go to your county health department. Bipolar diosorder is not something you can manage through diet alone.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • tell him to get that state insornce .... there taking ppl now used to me woman and theirr babies now its ppl that really need it .... or he can go to them mentel cincis .....

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • eat raw honey and also fish, also read the Bible
    get him on coffee and church! souther Baptist peppermints and apply on craigslist part time jobs get a free clinic or just a script but bipolar usually does NEED meds! no lie!!!! get the script filled at Wallmart

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I'm not sure where you live, but almost every community (even smaller ones) have a community mental health clinic that helps those without insurance. If he is only 20 & is already self-medicating (with weed), the issue is bound to only get worse unless he gets help soon. He needs to understand, however, that any meds they prescribe him will not work if he continues putting his own "meds" (weed) into his body. You are very sweet to help him, but understand that as an adult, it is HIS responsibility to follow-though with getting help. You can be supportive, but be careful not to take his problems on as your own. The most helpful thing you could do for him is to let him know that he is welcome in your home as long as he is taking care of his mental health issues & making a genuine effort to find a job. Good luck.

    Answer by Evansmomintexas at 2:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • thanks ladies for the advice.. he is positive that he wont get local health care at all, not even state medical aid.... we live in madison, WI if that helps anyone out....

    he is really depressed tonight and i worry he will resort back to harming himself.. he refused to take his cell phone with him when he left and im really worried about him.. he has had a very difficult life and the current situation is not helping...

    i use his computer so i dont get on much except when he is gone... i work full time as an assistant manager but my job isnt hiring...

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I know some about bi polar and usually there are triggers that bring on the manias and depression.. Even if he gets to a dr and they give him a prescription it will take a little while for them to find the right ones that work for him. If you can take him to a clinic (even one that is not specifically for mental health) and talk to the dr they can either give you a prescription or send you to someone who can. Also there are programs that will pay for your meds for you since a lot of Bi polar medications can be quiet expensive. Also he needs to make sure he eat (not only well but eating) and sleeping well. Manias can be tripped by lack of sleep and not eating. Let him know you understand things are hard and that you are there for him. Also remember that they usually can't see how bad it is getting and need to be told that their manias are coming about. Be there for him if you can but there is only so much you can do..Good luck!

    Answer by Faeriebrat at 5:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I hate to say it but smoking is what my p-doc recommended to me because the normal meds made me a zombie.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Also the weed is just a crutch.. Where as he sees it as a way to control the manias, it's not the answer. He will start to rely on it and become manic if he gets low or out. He needs to try to get off it now. Not only so it doesn't become an obession but also cause most jobs give urine test for drugs and if he is serious about getting a job he will have to get off it anyway. Plus you mentioned he is a bigger guy and if you are bigger it takes longer to get out of your system.. So might as well start cleaning up that way if a job does come his way he won't lose it because of weed. That will only add to his depression. Hope this helped

    Answer by Faeriebrat at 5:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • thanks again ladies...

    if anyone else has ideas im open to them...

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Don't know where you are from but in Jackson county the mental health department will not see you unless you have OHP I know they just cut me off I also have bipolar and a few other diagnoses You can go to Community Health or LaClinica (in our area) they do sliding scale fees and help with patient prescription assist program. But bipolar NEEDS MEDS.

    Answer by mommyt41 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.