• In the Spotlight:

To Boil or not to boil

I am currently having to formula feed my daughter because the dr put me on a strong antibiotic for the infection I got from him leaving parts of my C section incision open. I have been using sink water and boiling it to sterilize the water before making her bottles.. My friend told me I should by "N ursery Water" that has floride added in it and is purified.. I went and got some and it says on the jug not sterile.. Should I boil this water too? My friend says she doesn't boil it but the dr in the NICU told me to make sure to use sterile water with my bottles.. So boil or no? Also, if I am having to boil this water also is it that much better than the water I'm already using?

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 2:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my girls or older now but when i made those bottles i had N ursery Water and i didn't boil those bottles ... i don't kno
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I always boiled! I did until her daddy deployed which was at 8 months. I personally would say it's the same water just jugged up and pretty... but it also depends on where you are living. I live in Alaska and they have really clean water compared to parts of WA or other places I've been to. Really, it's about how comfortable you feel! if the dr told you to use sterile water, and the jug says it's not, then boil it!
    I had c also, and got an infection. I was wondering, they cut me from hip bone to hip bone... did they do that for you too???
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would probably boil it, at least until you can call her ped. and ask his advice.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yes, they cut me from hip bone to hip bone and left 2 1 inch spots open..So I am having drainage and lots of pain.. I'm Very put off with the dr for leaving me open because I wanted to breastfeed and went through all kinda hell to get my milk to drop.. Even went out and got 3 different kinds of pumps to help produce milk.. and now I can't because of the infection.
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 2:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, boil all water even bottled or Nursery water. I would be careful not to use to much floride water either because floride should not be swallowed and to much can give the baby discolored teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear about how it went! I know how painful it is and where i got my infection is the only spot you can really see the scar. My milk didn't come in for about a week after she was born and the drs put me right on formula.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would definitely boil . It is important for their little tummies to protect from gastroenteritis and other bugs in the water. If you can afford it get a steriliser. They are worth their weight in gold. I just fill mine up all day and then put it on at night.

I think you can stop sterilising once they are more mobile and putting things into their mouths. But, you still have to wash them well.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 3:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My doctor told me to use boiled water. Nursery water has fluoride in it which babies do not need yet. Around 3 or 4 months you can buy drinking water and use that. But do not use nursery water until your doctor says that it is ok. Make sure you keep sterilizing those bottles until your baby is around 6 months old. There are great sterilizers at walmart. Just put washed bottles in, add distilled water microve for 2 minutes and presto done! You can put pacifiers, bottles, nipples, plastic rings that babies chew on in it too.
    katkujawa

Answer by katkujawa at 3:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh I would be going for a doctors head on a stick. Also I would be checking to see if the antibiotic is compatible with breastfeeding or not. I was told not to before and checked on DR Sears website (I think that is where I looked), and it wasn't a prohibited drug. Personally I wouldn't waste the money on the nursery water. I FF my first 2 kids and just boiled and kept my teakettle full. Good luck mama.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We boil our water. We only used nursery water when one of my friends gave us a bottle. Other than that, we boil our water! DH starts it when he gets home that way when we make bottles at night, it's already done. I have used the filtered water out of the refrigerator before when I was home with 2 little babies by myself, but as general practice, we boil. I also kinda think you're in a different situation though, because we did not have to deal with NICU.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009