How can I express to my parents that I want my child to eat healthy and no junk food when she is older?

My father, Sedona's Grandpa, is the main babysitter for Sedona while I am at school, and will be when I am at work. She is 4 1/2 months old he is 63 and has already had a heart attack, obese, and eats loads of junkfood. He wanted to give her cookies and milk through a bottle my mother told me, and I think he was serious. Everytime he is eating icecream, popsicles, cookies, etc he wants to give her a taste. ( By just letting it touch her tongue) I do not want this to happen. When she is older I want to be able to trust that she will eat healthy snack such as carrots, etc instead of junk food and cookies. Everyonce in a while is fine , but I do not want her to expect this kind of food everday or every week even. I love my father dearly and enjoy all these fattening foods myself, but I am willing to give them up for her health when she realizes what they are and can eat them. How do I approach him with this concern?

katkujawa

Asked by katkujawa at 3:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just tell them that the Dr. told you to only feed the baby nutrious foods, because it's good for brain development. Sometimes you just have to blame it on the Dr. and lie. I have this same problem with my in-laws. I HATE lying, but sometimes it's necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Blaming it on the Doctor would never work for me with my parents... My 3 month old has tasted everything from ranch dressing to CocaCola with my parents. I dont let it bother me too much, I mean all five of their kids are still around today and all really healthy despite 5 completely seperate body types (I got stuck with the hefty shape myself and I can tell ya its not because of what I ate lol)

I would suggest a compromise because I hate to tell ya but the kid will eat junk food at some point! I would suggest you send her with the healthy food you want her to eat and tell your father that she is allowed one cookie (scoop of icecream, piece of candy, what have you) after she has taken all the healthy food. Also tell him you would prefer it if it didnt happen everyday but in the long run unless you get a new care provider there is no way to guarantee anything so your best bet is to compromise
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 6:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Wow I would NEVER 'compromise' with my parents about this or any issue concerning MY children. Totally tell them the doctor said so, even have the doctor write them a note. If they have any respect for you at all they should listen to your wishes.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009