Can a dog have puppies early ?

OK so my chihuahua is due july 4 th can dogs go into early labor and have puppies early ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pets

• yes, My lab went 3 days early but she was huge with 6 very large puppies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• They can, but if it's too early (by like a few weeks) there's no guarantee the babies will live. I had a shepard who had hers a few weeks off and every one passed... so if you think she's in labor you might wanna take her to the vet and see if they can stop it
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes....my cat has done it in fact. I know with cats for each day early it is like close to a week on humans. Not sure on dogs.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, I had a dog that had puppies 1 week early. She killed all of her babies the same night they were born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yeah any living thing can give birth early.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Any puppy born before the 63 day window is at risk of health complications and death. We c-sectioned an English Bulldog 2 days before her due date due to premature labor that could not be stopped. All puppies were delivered dead. Everyday is crucial in a gestation period so short. Contact your Vet if you are absolutely sure of breeding dates and you feel she is going early. This is not a safe situation and one that requires evaluation and observation.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 6:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My dog gave birth to nine puppies after only 46 days and all lived with no health complications. Either way you should be seeking vet care if you aren't a professional or if you have never birthed puppies before.
    Anonymous