A problem named Dudley

Well for those who have read and responded to my other question you know I'm a new first time mom of a baby girl who was born on May 28. Before Gwendolyn got here the baby of the house was our 4 yr old boston terrier named Dudley. He has a few problems that are normal for that breed (bad gas, snorting, and lots of shedding). He isn't taking the baby being here very well at all. He has taken to peeing in the house (Which my friends say is his way to get the attention he thinks the baby is taking from him), trying to lick on the baby when I am burping her, trying to lick the nipples on her bottle when I put it down to burp her. I'm also at wits end with all the shedding because it seems to be all over everything. My husband is almost ready to get rid of him (mostly for the peeing in the house now) and I hate to get rid of him. Not only has he been a big part of our family for 4 yrs, he was a gift from my mom and my stepson loves

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 4:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pets

• him. My stepson also feels threathened by the baby I think (he is 19 yrs old and doesn't live with us anymore) because he has yet to see her. I tried to get him to see her and he is completely uninterested. I don't want our son to feel like not only did the baby bring changes but she is the reason we had to get rid of the family dog. Is there anyway I can break my dog of his new obbession with peeing in my house? I can't put him outside because we don't have a fenced in yard and live close to the roads. Any advice on what I can do to make the dog more comfortable with the baby being here so he will stop peeing all over my house.
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 4:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• is he neutered? that helps sometimes. can you gate off the kitchen or hall for him? He does notice a change and he needs to learn he can't come around the baby. Maybe give him some chew toys and a belly band for male dogs(google it). Your baby can't crawl around on peed on stuff. then as he's around the baby, let him sniff but not near the baby, give him something with the baby's scent on it to sleep with. And your son is 19yrs old and upset? I understand he may feel threatened but your hubby needs to do something father and son maybe once every couple weeks with him but don't push it with him. Will he agree to a family pic?? even just an outside snapshot? then he can sit and watch the baby while your hubby and you get a pic made, then him and the baby and he can see he's just another part of your family, nothing more, nothing less???
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 5:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• all of your attention was previously centered on him and he was there first.
    I think you just didn't realize how much attention you were giving him, and now your giving all of it to the baby.
    imo, the dog still needs to be acknowledged first and given as much attention as before, it's not fair to the dog. If you give him back what was his before, he won't be forced to take the attention from you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• well if yourealy wantnother one i would ahead and do the afriiactil insemnation
    rhondarktrnd01

Answer by rhondarktrnd01 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It sounds like you have kept the baby completely away from Dudley and transferred all your love and attention on the baby and ignored Dudley completely. Naturally he is heartbroken. He thinks no one loves him anymore. First of all, don't keep the dog away from the baby. Let him get to know her. He certainly shouldn't be ignored or exiled from his loving home (to the backyard or given away) because you have a new toy/pet. It won't hurt the baby if you put her down on the floor and let Dudley get to know her, even if he licks her cheek or her hand, it won't hurt her, and it will do him a world of good. Let him know that you still love him as much as ever. You may have to do a little re-training in the potty dept, but it won't take too much. Since you have set the stage for some jealousy on Dudley's part, you will have to stay with them when you put them together, always a good idea at first anyway.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Cont. The dog tries to lick the baby to show he loves her. A dog is comparable mentally to a 2 or 2 1/2 yr old toddler. As a side note: Why would your 19 year old stepson be jealous of a baby? He is an adult. Tell him to grow up!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree with pagan_mama. When I was about 8 mths pregnant with my DS, I asked my dog's vet what their advice was on trying to make sure our dog didn't get jealous of him, and they told me to think of her as a 3 year old sibling. You wouldn't keep them away from the baby. When DS was born DH brought home one of the receiving blankets so she could get used to his smell and once we were home, I went in first to show her I was okay and then DH brought DS in to introduce them. Now they cuddle together on the couch, and she's so calm with him. He chases her around the house in his walker and tries to pet her and he's only just about 9 months old. She never has had any problems with DS because we did what the vet told us to do.
    abelsc

Answer by abelsc at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• here is what you should do both for safety and for sanity. let dudley near the baby only when you are there to watch and no more licking. licking is a sign of dominance kinda like bullying. It is not "kisses" all the time...more like"I can do this to you and you will nto stop me" ever seen dogs kiss? nope lol. You do need to give the dog attn when he is being good, No more petting and affection for demanding behavior like licking. when he is calm and being a good dog, love him up be all over him. Also give him treats only when the baby is near, it makes a connection that baby equals good stuff. I love my animals and it would kill me to get rid of them but your baby comes first yanno/ and anyone who tells you different is insane. As for step son, thats too old to be having baby jealousy issues and its about him and da, you cant handle or control that, make his father talk to him. good luck. :o)email me if you need more info.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009