Want a baby....what would you do?

I am desperate for another baby. I hate that my first LO is growing up without a sibling. They will be 3 next month and I want another child soon so they are close. I'm a single mom and though we have a nice apartment, my child has nice clothing, plenty of toys, and some saved for emergencies, we are not rich. I am a very frugal person and have most of the things I already need for a baby. By the time a baby would really cost anything for me it would be at least 18 months and eating more solids. Would you go ahead and have one through artificial insemination?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go for it! It sounds like you are in a good place.

My mom was a single mom my whole life and only had me and she always regreted not having another one close to my age. Nothing wrong with being a single mom don't let other people's values affect how you live your life.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• no. adopt! I want to adopt. there are so many poor babies out there without homes and a loving family.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I intend on adopting but i want to experience birth once. Plus a birth is covered by insruance but adoption isn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I personally believe that bringing a child into the world knowing there wont be a father to claim it is selfish. Every child deserves the chance to have two parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• no if you cant affor dmuch it is selffish to bring another baby in to the world. why not wait to been better on your feet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• What do you consider affording much? Wouldn't you say nice clothes, plenty of toys, and a savings account isn't much? Maybe material things aren't important but rather family and friends. So what if they can't afford to go out every night for dinner or fancy vacations?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think you should really wait and wait till you can find someone that you can parent with a child does deserve two parents and you deserve to be loved also and your child you have right now deserves the love also. I think you be making a big mistake and would have regrets if you went and had another child without a father around.Don't be a selfish person just wait and see what the furture has in store for you and your LO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't think you NEED to have a father around to raise a child if you are a strong woman willing to put in the extra work to make up for the male influence. But it is so hard with two kids and no extra hands. I have a 3 yr old and an 8 mo old and I am running circles and would melt down without my SO at night. Plus Artificial insemination is very expensive, and adoption is double..upwords of 20,000 and it could take up to 10 years if you want an american baby. My friend and her lesbian partner are going through this right now and getting very frustrated with the system. I don't know about your personal life, but there are several very good resources for meeting single fathers. Maybe you will find love and a sibling all at the same time...just a thought.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• In my personal opinion I would adopt instead of artificial insemination. There are SOOOO many babies and children out there who need good, loving, homes, and to me it would be much more fullfilling to take one of them in than to "experience birth" like you stated. Ideally it would be nice to wait until you have no concerns about being able to afford another child because it sounds like you have at least a little bit of concern, but to each their own. I think if you want another baby than go for it! And yes in a perfect world, every child would have a father or at least 2 people to help raise him/her but a child can be loved and taken care of just as well by a single parent. Please consider adoption more though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If you can afford a child financially and emotionally, then I see no reason why not no matter how you get there.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009