When can you give your baby juice and how to dilute it?

sue0773

Asked by sue0773 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dilute the juice as much as possible. Usually 1 or 2 oz juice and then 7 or 6 oz water. Most pedis don't recommend a lot of juice anyways. And dentists don't like it either, esp if the child is taking it from a bottle or sippy.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 5:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• our pediatrician told us to dilute juice 1 part water to 10 parts juice- but we only use the natural/no sugar added kinds- but, even then- our son would rather have water than juice, so we don't give him much.
    brighteyes07

Answer by brighteyes07 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I started giving my children diluted juice at about 6 months, maybe 9 months... and diluted it about 1/4 juice to 3/4 water. Like the poster above me, my children never drank much of it... instead always chose water or breastmilk.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 5:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The site i found recommended no younger than 6 months, because they dont need anything else other than breastmilk before then. Also a baby smaller than that it could mess up their pH levels, especially in smaller children.
    I would dilute the juice to about half and half, using Brita water if at all possible.

This is the site i went to:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/0806_baby_juice.htm
    babyloverami

Answer by babyloverami at 5:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my pedi said never to give juice that its useless. i think thats stupid. juice isnt bad for you, just make sure that whatever it is is 100% fruit juice with no added sugars. i gave them juice about 11 months to start they only got it once a day and it was half water and half juice. juice never replaced a meal. they still have milk with breakfast, lunch, and dinner and they have diluted juice at afternoon snack or in the car.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• if you have to give your baby juice to give white grape not apple (diluted of course) heres the link
    http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/23252.htm
    pchef_nicole

Answer by pchef_nicole at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i would give them cranberry and i would diluted with distilled so iam not adding any chemicals
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i started my 4 month old on juice a week ago and i started with pear juice. 1 oz of juice to 3 oz water. pear is the less harsher juices on the tummy. apple should be the last
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 2:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Six months is the absolute minimum, as recommended by the AAP but really, there's no reason for it at all. We give juice MAYBE once a week and its 1oz of juice per 4-5oz of water.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son started having juice at 9 months but we diluted it alot. He will be 2 next month & we still dilute it. Not that you have to I guess at this age. But a lot of juice isn't good for them. Even the 100% juice.
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2008