Breastfeeding Diet?

My daughter is due in three weeks and I'm planning on breastfeeding. It didn't work for me last time, but I'm really hoping it will this time. Does anyone know some good books to read about the nutrition I need to get, different positions to try, et.? It would really help me out! Thanks!

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 7:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't really need to follow a special diet when breastfeeding, unless you notice that certain foods are bothering your baby. I would read as much as you can about breastfeeding now, and then see a lactation consultant in the hospital to help while you are there. For books, you can check out The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or So That's What They're For. The best breastfeeding info. that I have found online is at www.kellymom.com
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• What to expect the first year really helped me. Also as soon as you have the baby make sure you have either the hospital lactation consultant see and help you or go to one asap they are very helpful! Good luck mama
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• "The motherly art of breastfeeding" or something like that is a great book that I loved. As for a diet nothing special just eat healthy and get lots of water. Some babes have issues with dairy/soy or other things, but most do not. If LO does have an issue then try an elimination diet to figure it out. I also continued to take my prenatals while nursing. Fish oil is supposed to help with brain development if mom takes it, but is not necessary. You will burn about 300-600 extra calories a day so make sure you eat enough to cover that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I dont know of any good books but I can tell you based on my personal experience. My breastfeeding diet did affect my babies mood and contributed to her tummy issues when she was little. I layed off drinking milk and the baby felt better. Plus stayed away from caffeine, acidic food, and spicy food...all of these would cause tons of gas and discomfort in the babe. As far as positions, the hospital staff can teach you the main ones, but practice is the key.
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i never realy watched my diet,i knew what foods to avoid so baby didnt get gas,i nurse better with us both laying down and i rotate both breast each feeding,i know they say to feed from one then the next feeding the other,but that didnt work for me.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i agree with sarahmae3- womanly art of BFing and STWTF are GREAT books, love them! i've had to cut out dairy, but only because my LO gets VERY gassy when i eat things with cheese and milk. i make sure to eat healthy foods like sweet potatoes, spinach, avocado, tuna fish, etc- DHA from tuna, good fats from it and from avocado are good for baby. the more healthy foods you eat, the less of a picky eater you may end up having! also carrots are good for vitamin A and beta carotene (sp). i try to eat lots of veggies and fruits that i haven't normally eaten.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2009