• In the Spotlight:

How would one recommend to treat Gout?

I have gout it's a form of arthritis and it feels like my big toe is on fire as well as the heel of my foot. I did some research on it and it said that Gout usually attacks men before woman and the woman that it does attack they eitherhave an obesity problem or have gone thru menopause or a person who has high blood pressure.

At the age that I am none of those things listed above I have gone thru yet but I do have gout. Please someone who either has this or knows of someone let me know what your experiences are and how you or one has treated the problem. I don't have insurance so going to the doctor isn't an option right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• Stay away from high fat meats or high fat foods, organ meats like liver or pate's. Eventually, you will come to a point where your body will filter the purines and uric acid but it may take awhile. Until then, try some motrin or other pain relievers, keep the foot elevated to induce better circulation and go with veggies and whole grains only until then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If you are experiencing an attack right now you need heavy duty anti-inflamitories. My hubby has gout, he's had if for 15+ years, and the attacks are horrible. He has a daily rx he takes, I think it's allopurinal, and an rx for when it flares up, it's called colchicine (sp). Basically what happens with gout is an excess of uric acid builds up and crystalizes in the joint of your big toe. You need to stay away from organ meats (liver, etc) and red meat isn't good for it either, and beer too. It is very painful, when my hubby's flares up he can't stand to have anything on it, even a fan blowing on it is painful. Since you can't get an rx I'd suggest the strongest otc anti-inflamitory you can get and max out the dosage, and as soon as you can see a Dr to get the daily preventative rx.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Did a doctor diagnose it as gout? It may be something else entirely.

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 10:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Any time you need to flush something out of your system like the proteins that build up to form gout you need tons of water. Just keep drinking.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for giving me some pointers with the Gout. If anyone else has anymore helpful info it would be appreciated. Everyone have a good day
    sassygirl09

Answer by sassygirl09 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2009