think we have a sippy dilemma

so my son is now 17 months but he stopped nursing when he was 15 months. he went straight to the sippy of whole milk no problem. well come bed time he really need something to drink he was always thirsty so I would get up and get him milk but by the time i got up gave it to him and everything he was awake so i figured i could just take the milk to bed in a thermal sippy no big deal. well the milk never spoils by the time he drinks it but now he is hooked on the sippy for sleeping. it just started after two months of bringing it to bed. he is suckling it like he did the boobie so i tried to take it away and he threw an enormous fit so bad he threw up! why all of a sudden is he attached to this sippy and acting like he needs it to sleep????? What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take it away from him at night and let him cry it out....i mean you dont want him to have milk teeth do you....he doesnt need it....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If he's thirsty, you could try giving him a sippy with water in it. It won't rot his teeth. It's normal for babies and toddlers to want to suck on something. It's comforting to them. I'm not sure how good sucking on a sippy is for his teeth though. It's probably like bottles and pacifiers.
    beanerbecky

Answer by beanerbecky at 8:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My little guy will be two at the end of the month and he always wakes up thirsty in the middle of the night so I put a sippy cup with water in it in the corner of his toddler bed and if he wakes up thirsty he knows it's there to drink. I would not give him milk to drink during the night. That is very bad for their teeth. I would recommend putting water in his cup and giving that to him. He can have water or nothing.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 8:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's a comfort thing. Don't give him milk though. I would fill a sippy with water & put it in the crib with him. That way, is he needs it, it's there & the water won't hurt him.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009