I am going to college in the fall (medical field) and am on fs. How does that make you feel?

Curious because I am proud of myself for going to college (surgical tech) and the program requires I go full time so I know when I start I wont be able to work full time because I am going to have to study my ass off for the degree I am taking so I will be on food stamps to help feed myself and my 6yr old son. I work in a nursing home right now and have my STNA.....I wanna better myself so that I never have to be on assistance again

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Many people work and go to college with kids. If you qualify fine, but I feel you may be taking the easy way, personally. I earned a master's degree with 2 kids, worked full time, and had lots to do. You should be proud of your goals, I hope you meet them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• OP here...just to let you know...i am going to college because I want to..not because I HAVE to because I was laid off or anything. I not only want to go to collge but i want to do well w my studies and I know that the medical field has A LOT of studying (anatomy) that goes w it and I know many nurses who say that they couldn't work later in their schooling because studying and clinicals took ALL their time...I wanna make sure that I have the time to study and see my son and work and not b overwhelmed for the next 2yrs. Maybe I am taking it a little easier but I think college is hard work especially when you have a child so anything that makes it a little easier and less stressful I think is a good thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If you are capable of working then you should. You said it yourself---- You are making a choice here. Yes, a very positive and goal oriented choice, but you need to realize those of us who have student loans, worked, and went to school with kids and did not go on food stamps may not agree with that part. You asked your question and should be willing to take all answers. There is never ever any negative about bettering yourself, but you are already setting up a deficit saying how hard it will be if you work--hell, who said life was easy or that getting your education would be. Again, if you qualify so be it, but plenty of us would not qualify, worked, had a home, paid bills, and did it all---still earning our education.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• A lot of people are going to respond negatively to accepting food stamps. Here is my opinion on the matter. All financial assistance programs exist for a reason. food stamps are available to families who need help feeding their children. And this help comes from other people in the country via taxes. If you feel you need food stamps to make sure your child has plenty of health fruits, veggies and lean proteins in his diet, then you are benefiting from the system the way you are supposed to.

missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Of course there are those that abuse the system. But those are not in question here. You are using your resources. It is no different than Federal financial aid for schools. Most people use this resource to better their education without a second thought. Feeding your children and educating them are your responsibilities as a parent. If you need help, I am happy to contribute that 2 cents a week from my paycheck...:) As far as taking the "easy way" I see nothing easy about college and parenting. Just because others have done it without federal assistance does not mean that you should have to struggle to do the same. Good luck to you.
    missv66

• yes me again...sorry. We are contributing to federal transitional assistance programs weather we like it or not and I would rather people such as yourself take advantage of it rather than those using it to buy food and sell it for crack. As for working and school and parenting, just because it is possible, does not mean it is the RIGHT thing for you. Spending less time with your son, increasing you physical exhaustion and stress level and limiting your healthy food choices is irresponsible also.

missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• no, people who ABUSE the system piss me off. Not people who need it & are trying to better themself.
    shaunalynn25

Answer by shaunalynn25 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• why do you care ? why start a drama post?
    attention much ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• OP here....I think some missed that I am still going to be working while in college...just not full time because I actually wanna do well in college. My nursing home if very supportive of me going to college and is happy to work w me on my work schedule while I am in college. I just wonder what some think because i am proud of myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• OP here....I think some didnt read correctly...I am going to work while in college. My nursing home is more than happy to schedule me hrs around my college schedule. College, work, and being a mom will b hard for the next 2 yrs but if it means I never have to live paycheck to paycheck or be on PA then hell yea I am happy to struggle to make something out of myself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009