How did you tell your folks that your marriage was over?

To make a long story short, I am one of those women who defended her husband to her family a million times. I know they don't like him, although it's for reasons that are different than why I am leaving him. Well, I have found out that he tried to cheat on me, (again) last week, and I have decided that he will move out of our house and the marriage is over. After fighting to have a good marriage for six years, I am happy that I have made the decision to get a divorce, but I struggle and get sick to my stomach when I think of telling my mother, or brother about it. I don't like having to admit that they were right, I picked a loser, and I don't want them to talk bad about him, nor do I want them to feel sorry for me. I don't want any drama about it whatsoever. I don't love my husband anymore, but I feel like if they ridicule him, they are being mean to me to? Does that make sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• It makes perfect sense, I've had to do it about about a boyfriend though, You're gonna have to tell them, but i would go about it " Mom I'm gonna tell you something n after I tell you I don't want to her anything else about it or negtaive about him., I've decided to get a divorce"
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If you have made up your mind about what you are going to do, the very best thing you could do for yourself would be to go to your family and say, "You all were right. I should have listened to you when you warned me about marrying this man. I was wrong not to have listened to and followed your advice." By saying that, you have admitted the truth and you have taken away their need to say "I told you so." Everybody makes mistakes. There is certainly no harm in admitting that you have made one. I would say the exact same thing to the husband, as well. I would tell him that my family warned me against marrying him, and I loved him enough to ignore their warnings. They were right, and I was wrong. Character is very important in every marriage. Many times we fall in love and are blind to the flaws, but our families will see them and warn. Most women do exactly what you did and end up regretting it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009