Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am having trouble with my lawyer and wanted some other opinions.

I am taking the worthless father of my son to court to get him to pay child support (he has not given me a dime in the 8 months my son has been alive and yet is not willing to revoke his rights a parent). I have been paying a lawyer for 6 months on the matter and the guy has not even been served the papers yet! Why is my lawyer waisting my time? If I find someone else will I have to start from the begining and sell my soul to pay for it. Can the paperwork be transfered to another attourney's office?

Answer Question

Asked by missv66 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • youd have to ask a lawyer im not sure .

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I don't know either. Find a lawyer with a free consultation and go from there. GL.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • What exactly has your lawyer been billing you for? Does he give you an itemized invoice for specific services? Are you on a payment which case your lawyer may be waiting to be paid in full before serving him papers?

    What does your CONTRACT the "fine print." There should be a clause in there about terminating the lawyer's services if they fail to do "xyz" by a certain date and the process for getting any fees returned--or percentage thereof).

    Have you ASKED your lawyer what kind of time frame this whole process is expected to take? If you don't know, you should ask!

    Now, is it possible that your lawyer cannot FIND the father of your child? Does he have a PERMANENT address, or does he evade people by bouncing from address to address? That may be why he hasn't been served papers yet.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Call your local legal aid office and they will tell you what you have to go about doing.
    What has your lawyer charge you for. Thats the real question if your lawyer has done nothing then for you, then what did you pay him for.?

    Answer by raemommy at 9:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • This sounds like a seriously frustrating situation. Have you checked into legal aid? You may qualify for free legal assistance from your local legal aid program. One of the specialties that they cover is child support. The number in your area is Western Massachusetts Legal Services, Pittsfield Office, 413-499-1950. Their website is The legal work is done by lawyers for free or a reduced fee. Some cities/states require that lawyers work a specific amount of time with legal aid, and some lawyers do it out of the generosity of their heart, so they are extremely helpful. Good Luck!


    Answer by suchbigwords at 9:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Well I can tell you from experience, that lawyers like to take their sweet ol' time getting the job done because they longer they drag it out, the more they get paid. I am in the process of buying a home (an estate sale) and even though I have already been approved for a loan, am ready to move in, the house is empty and ready to go, the lawyers are STILL f*cking around because they are making money until that house is mine. Soooo frustrating! I agree with the others and see if you can get a free consulatation with another attorney and see if they can help you.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Call the State Child Support Services - I know in CT they are awesome. Child support is minimal by law in CT - only $75/week. Since I had my ex-husband's wages garnished (which is what they do), my support has been regular. When it is not, the State follows up and keeps a tab of what he owes me. If he gets extra money - I get the arrears (or I wouldn't even know about it). Since he is now late, the State is taking him to Court. Since he got the papers (mailed), all of a sudden I am getting paid again. But the State/Child Support Services also mailed me a copy of his court date so I will be there, too.

    I hope your state is as effective as CT. Bottom line, find out how much $ is the maximum your baby's dad has to pay by law. Get rid of the lawyer and get legal aid representation like the other moms suggested - it's easy to find out where they are - just call you Info Line.

    Answer by terry6202 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • That lawyer sounds like he is robbing you blind all that money you are giving him you were better off taking care of your kid instead your wasting time and money for nothing...I hope something happens soon for you and your baby sake.

    Sometimes it is not worth it going through this with a lawyer you should have just went through the child support office and ask them how to go about it find out soon or you will be paying the lawyer for child support...well instead of the dad paying you money you paying the lawyer kind of backwards don't you think? GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Call your local Child Support Enforcement Agency, they will serve him and persue this for you for free.

    Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I agree with "GL". Also, that's good that the baby's dad is visiting even though it may make you nuts (after 10 years it still makes me crazy). A kid needs a dad's love and their relationship is important, but I'm sure you already know this.

    Answer by terry6202 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.