strep throat or tonsilitis?

ok my son was fine all week then thursday he played for a good while during the day thenhen he came in he laid on the couch and said he was cold and asked me for a blanket i gave him a blanket and he went to sleep he doesnt take naps unless hes sick or we go somewhere then he falls asleep during the ride when he woke up i took his temperature it was 101 i gave him motrin between thursday and firday his temp was as high as 103.5 and the lowest 99.7 we went to the dr they did a rapid strep test no strep took him to er lastnight again saying no strep still complaining throat hurts they gave him a liqiud steriod so the swelling in his tosnsils go down but what they did not tell me was why he has a white patch on the back of his thoart what do you think it is he is 4 yrs old

Sherry135

Asked by Sherry135 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Strep tests are pretty accurate, did they do a 24 hour culture? Puss pockets can mean lots of things, from strep to viral infection. There are viral infections that mimic strep. If he isn't feeling better in a couple of days, take him back
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• He could just have a viral infection. My son has had strep tons of times and he has had viral infections. Sometimes the infection just needs to work it's way out of the body. IF he isn't feeling better in a few days, take him back to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• we just caught strep last week. Dr. said it starts w? headache, nausea (maybe throw up) then fever, maybe a small cough, finally a soar throat.
    He went from fine to sleepy and fever all day until I got into dr. at dinner time.
    We were picking up the antibiotic before my son ever said he throat hurt. So doesn't sound like strep to me. Maybe like PP said viral. GL and hope your lil one feels better soon
    Anonymous