just pumped for the 1st time....question!

I only got 2 ounces...should I put it in the fridge and add my next pump to it or should I go ahead and freeze it?? My daughter is 3 weeks old and I decided to pump so I could have some back up but 2 ounces doesn't seem like enough for a feeding....any ideas? I only pumped for 10mins on each side, I guess next time I'll try to do it longer.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go ahead and freeze in 2 oz increments. It is easier to thaw that way, and less waste.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• 2-3 oz is the perfect amount to freeze.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• if u do dicide to mix em,u cant mix what was already in the fridge with fresh,u have to let the new milk seetle in the fridge and get cold befor u mix.also its good in the bottle up to 8hours.8days in the fridge and 3months in a freezer
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Your body will regulate how much milk to produce, based on your childs need. So it may take a bit of time with this new pumping systen you have started. Once your body catches on that you are using more milk, it will produce more. But yes you can freeze it in smaller amounts for now. Have you tought her a bottle???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• pump after you breastfeed....it will help your body produce more...it may take a while...that is what m doc told me
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Also if you want to get more you can pump one side while baby nurses on the other. It helps immensely.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• it's best to freeze in 2 oz. anyway, that way you can always thaw out more but you can't refreeze...I would freeze it if I were you, and contrary to what most people say, you NEVER have enough....freeze away! You'll need it!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Pump one side while you nurse the other to get more. Also I would freeze the 2 ounces because it is easier to thaw and once thawed if she doesn't eat it all you won't have to toss as much. You can mix the two though as long as you either don't chill the stuff you pumped or you chill them both and then mix.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009