are you an LPN?

i ask because this was something i wanted to go into. right now i am an STNA (CNA) and i work closely with LPN's in a nursing home...i noticed all they really get to do is stand and chop pills and feed pills all day. i dont think i would want to spend 2 years in school to end up doing a job like that. i actually prefer being an aide, getting to know the patients and giving direct care and spending quality time. but it would be great to work in a similar environment making twice as much money...
my question is, where can LPN's work and what are some of the tasks they can do in various medical settings? or is it all about administering meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• its really mostly about admistering pills. im not an lpn.. I'm taking pre reqs to get my RN but I've considered heavily about getting my LPN then work towards my RN after that. But like you, I don't want to pass meds every day and do treatments. I like my job as a STNA much better than that, although making more money would be nice. But I make a LPNS wage working where I work for the state. But LPNs don't make double what aids do.. where I work they make about 6 dollars more (which is still alot) But I'm just going to get my RN its what I really want to do.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• basically you can do just about everything an RN can do...I have been an LPN for almost 6 months now...I also work in a nursing home, but you can work in home health care and hospitals...it is harder to get into a hospital now as an L cause they all want RN's but basically the only difference between the two is that as an RN you have the training to deliver a baby. I check blood sugars and give shots all the same.
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It depends on your state, our state regs so tightly that it is a wonder LPNs can even pass meds. A lot of hospitals have quit hiring LPN's in this state but the areas that do are medsurge, mother baby, and a small handfull of others. Nursing homes and doctor's offices are the primary places of employment for LPN's. The money makes it more worth it for you, do what you feel. Oh and you will see when you become an LPN that it is harder to be a nurse than you think. You have to know about the pills you are giving, you have to know when to call a doctor, you have to know what to do when patients need to go to the hospital and you have to THINK. Their job is harder than you give them credit for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm an LPN by profession, although I don't work as one now. I got burned out on the medical profession in general, so I have no desire to ever do that again, plus right now, I homeschool my kids. I do keep my license active, however, just in case I need to use it. Anyway, most hospitals won't hire LPN's now. You can work in home health, physicians offices, and nursing homes will ALWAYS have job openings. It also varies from state to state as far as what LPN's are allowed to do. Here in PA, LPN's can start IV's and administer IV drips, but not IV push meds. LPN's are also not allowed to administer blood transfusions. LPN's can insert catheters and NG tubes and administer tube feedings, as well as injections ( IM and subcutaneous).

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I give shots, pass meds, get vitals, and all that but I'm not a LPN I'm a med tech. and we do the same things LPN's do and CNA's combined. it's great
    sharonrosen3

Answer by sharonrosen3 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• In most states an LPN can do anything an RN can do except administer blood and give IV med pushes. Some states also require you to become IV certified in order to give anitbiotics or IV fluids. While most hospitals are no longer hiring LPNs, most work in home health, doctors offices, and nursing homes. Its not just about giving meds. LPNs also do wound care and other treatments (foley catheters and feeding tubes), daily charting, review labs, write doctors orders, notifiy doctors, gather all necessary paperwork to send someone out to the hospital, assists CNAs, obtain vital signs, and accu checks. I know that when I worked with my CNAs I always helped them get someone into bed, transfer to the shower chair, lift someone up in bed (reposition). I always treated my CNAs as my equals and not someone below me because of title. We are a team and without the LPN or CNA the team cant function.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009