Does anyone know about adoption laws in Utah?

My husband and I are considering an adoption situation and the expectant mom will deliver in Utah. We live out of state and was wondering if anyone could tell us about the process (finalization, termination of parental rights, how long we may need to state in state for the ICPC to finalize, etc). Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• From a law chart I have, it is 24 hours after birth for TPR and 6 months until you can finalize.
    I would check with the agency or attorney about TPR. We were in a state that was anytime after birth but each hospital had their own rule about when they would allow TPR and if a hospital sw had to meet the mom first.
    However, you can also finalize in your own also unless your state doesn't cover expenses you are paying. For example, we finalized in Florida because it was a shorter time frame for finalization. We did not pay birthmother expenses which are legal in Flordia but not in Ohio (when we did the adoption) so if we had paid expenses, we would have had to finalize in Florida.
    ICPC can also depend on your state also. Ohio is know to be slow. Although we have always been approved pretty quickly to come home. 10 days for our first adoption (paperwork to ICPC by the end of day 3. 3 1/2 weeks for our 2nd adoption.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 1:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009