Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I have someone harrassing me through email. If I save the messages and turn them in to the police, what will happen? Is it even worth reporting?

(it's a relative of my husband's and it's not sexual)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (11)
  • I think you can block somebody from emailing you, why don't you look into that?

    Answer by staceynoel at 10:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Yes it is worth reporting however I would try the FBI as well.

    Answer by Carpy at 10:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Go into your options and try to block the email.

    Answer by BEXi at 10:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • If they are threatening to harm you, you should call the police. Other wise block them and forget about it.

    Answer by lovinangels at 10:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • What about changing your email address? I think most ISP providers offer multiple email address 4 or more different ones. Set your current one to "junk mail' status, and dump every so often. Chances are the person harrassing you will get tired of not getting a response and move along.

    I've had to do this a couple of family members, and after a while it worked.

    However, if the threats are real and specific, and not just implied, you might be able to get the help of your local police department to investigate, and issue a "cease and desist" order, which can then be used against the person violating it in court, should the threats escalate.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 10:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • If the emails are threatening in nature I would recommend you attain a restraining order from the court. You must be able to prove that they are threatening you though.

    If they are just annoying, then perhaps you should either block them or forward them to other parts of the family (probably not a good idea though).

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • It might be worth reporting but unless they are threatening to or have hurt you they will not be able to do much. Definately change your email or check with your ISP about blocking and do continue to save any emails you get.
    By the way, why has your dh not kicked this guys butt yet?

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • We need more information, OP. Are they threatening letters? Do the said family members live close to you? Are they slandering you to other people in your community? Have they made attempts on threats or confronted you in person?

    My recommendation is to document EVERYTHING. Print out and save emails. If they call and leave messages, save and document those as well. If you notice them driving by where you live, document day and time of those events.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • This is OP....

    This is his aunt (only 5 years older than him). She's not making threats yet but she is sending me messages calling me every name in the book and being foul. She lives within driving distance. Yes she talks about me to other family members.

    I'm just sick of the childish games. I haven't spoken to these people in over a this was all completely unprovoked! I haven't said a foul word to her..only told her to leave us be. If she can't get through to me with her messages it wouldn't surprise me at all if she went to other measures.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Sounds like slander to me, OP.


    1) save them all, as well as print them out, and report them.
    2) Block her.

    Answer by _Jynxx_ at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.