Does this seem like a fluke? If not, is it about average?

I got my daughter (16 months) down from her highchair after breakfast, and changed her diaper. I got her up off the floor and told her it was time to brush our teeth (She loves brushing teeth). She ran to the (babyproofed) bathroom and brought me back her toothpaste and her toothbrush. It kinda freaked me out. Not only did she understand me well, but she got her own stuff. We have 5 toothbrushes and 3 different toothpastes in there, but she got her own. Just a fluke? Should she be able to do that?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yah, they can understand just about everything that you say and tell them to do. When my son was around 13 months he went into his drawers and pulled out his shorts so I asked him to go get the matching shirt that goes with it and he did! They also remember things very well now so keep that in mind too. My husband said a word that wasn't so nice to repeat and my son blurted it out back at him. The next day I asked him what new word did Daddy teach you yesterday, being curious if he had recollection, sure enough he said the word again.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yeah she's not a "baby" anymore she can do that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yeah...she should have been able to. My son at that age could have gotten it and told me all about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• A 16 month old is absolutely capable of knowing what you are asking her and remembering which toothbrush and toothpaste are hers. It's normal, don't worry.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have had her tell me before she wants to brush her teeth. She says "toobush" when she wants to brush her teeth (if she had her choice, we would brush teeth all day) and I have had her go to the bathroom when I tell her it is time to brush her teeth, but have never had her get her own things before. She always listens well when I tell her to do something or not to do something, but that was the first time she had ever done anything like that without actually being asked.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's normal. You're baby is growing up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Isn't that cute. my son does the same thing too.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• mine does it too, well she points to it cuz she cant reach but I'll pretend to not know which one she means and she'll get upset if i give her mine. She knows very well even if she cant say it....our problem is that she feels the need to sit in the sink as we brush our teeth.....anyone else's LO is a sink-sitter?
    MiasMommy21

Answer by MiasMommy21 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009