Is it possible to pump only and bottle feed my baby breastmilk w/o my milk drying up???

Jenn87

Asked by Jenn87 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump more often than you would have to nurse and that should help. I had a friend that would pump every hour and freeze it because her son started cutting teeth at around 8 weeks, so she couldn't nurse well. That is what she did and she managed to breastfeed without supplementing formula for about 10 months.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• it's possible but you will have to spend a LOT of time pumping...every 2-3 hours....and you don't get as much pumping as your baby does nursing...I did this for months when she got teeth b/c she was biting and drawing blood, but eventually mine did slow down (not dry up) b/c she still nurses at nite. But it takes a lot of dedication...you have to be married to your pump and take it everywhere with you. (I still do.) I have recently started supplementing b/c my DD is hungry and what i pump isn' t enough for her...but you can do it if you stick with it! good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's possible but it takes dedication like you won't believe! At 7 weeks, my son lost over 2 pounds and was hospitalized for failure to thrive. The reasons were many fold. My supply was affected by some major stress I was having and my son has a very small jaw. He has never gone back to the breast after we had to bottlefeed him for 2 weeks to save his life. We have tried so hard, and I am still willing to put him to the breast whenever he seems interested, but now he just bites me and laughs. Anyway, for 5 months now I have been pumping for 30 minutes every 2 hours (that's 5 hours a day at the pump) and I only get about 1/2 of what he needs each day,even though I am taking domperidone. So we have to supplement with formula. My son is 7 months old now, and I am planning to stick this out until he is a year old, but I'm going to have to stop after that. I can't see doing it for another year.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It is possible, but difficult and I wouldn't recommend it. There are a couple groups on here of moms who pump exclusively I believe. Check them for some advice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If it is something you feel you can commit to and have the support to do so, then go for it and don't let anyone else tell you that you're crazy or that it's wasted time, or anything else! Shut out the negatives! It will be hard. It will be time-consuming, but it CAN be done! Hire a housekeeper or enlist the help of relatives and friends who support your choice to give breastmilk. Make sure your husband understands what this will entail and get him on board. Prepare yourself well ahead of time and it will be fine!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2009