my 9 months old does not bable too much.....

Hello...my 9 months old preemie bb boy does not bable too much....he only makes noises like ta-ta-ta or ata-ata...ehhhhh---ahhhhhh but nothing like mamamama or dadada or papapa....he started 2 weeks ago with the tatatata or atatatata...is that normal? how long will it take to start saying mamamama or dadadadda...I will love to heed mamamama......thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some children get it early, others wont. I think that doctors aren't even concerned until around a year, but I am not certain on that. My daughter started babbling early, around 4 months. But my son didn't babble really until closer to a year, but then had like a 20 word vocabulary by about 15 months. I think if he is trying to make sounds like you describe, then he is fine. He just may not do the mama dada thing until it has meaning for him (probably around 12-15 months).
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• How early was he, you have to remember with milestones like talking, rolling over, etc.. you have to count from when he was supposed to be born, not when he was born. Like my daughter was born 8 weeks early and at 9 months she was actually reaching the milestones of a 7 month old. My daughter didn't babble a whole lot either, she was a bit over a year when she said "dada" and about 13 months when she said "mama". But she is 5 now and we can't shut her up. She talks from the moment she wakes up until the moment she goes to sleep. He will get there all babies do things at their own pace.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Take your son to see his pediatrician. You pediatrician has the records from birth on. You son may need some therapy and may not -- you need a medical opinion.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son rarely babbled; he hardly made any sounds at 9 months old, and he only started saying mama and dada around a year old. That's not to say that he didn't communicate. He used signs that he made up and pointed a lot. It wasn't until he was about 18 months or so that he really started talking (saying more than mama, dada, more, and yes). He's 2 now and can speak in complete sentences and has an enormous vocabulary. So I would say that at this point, you don't have anything to worry about.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 11:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2009