Clueless about college.. Wanting to become a teacher.

Im a SAHM & being a mom is #1 in my life so i need a career that will fit that roll (being off when kids are home,summers,ect) & ive always liked the thought of being a teacher anyways.... BUT we dont exactly have the money for me to go to college (is there special help for people wanting to be teachers?). Will it be OK if I start taking classes from home now?
Do you u have to go to a university? (im guessing a local college isnt good enough) would University of Houston be good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you already have a high school diploma you can get a job as a Teacher's Aide. The pay won't be much--public schools pay between $8-10 per hour, and you won't get paid holidays/vacations. But it might help you decide if teaching is what you REALLY want to do. You might also consider taking accredited childcare/daycare provider certifications and work in a private preschool setting--that MIGHT offer a salary and benefits.

If you want to become a full-fledged teacher, you will need a Bachelor's degree (for grades K-6, above that requires a specialty core degree--Biology, English, History, etc.), and a Master's degree to teach special/gifted education. In ALL cases you will need to complete several semesters of full-time student teaching, and pass a state certification exam.

K-6 jobs are hardest to find--everyone wants them; and 7-12 grade jobs require advanced degrees. It's not as easy as it looks! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Much of it depends on the kind of teacher you want to be, and how much responsibility you want. Is teacher's aid okay? What grade level do you want? To be a teacher's AID you can do a two year or less in many states. To be a full fledged teacher, you do generally have to get a bachelors in childhood education. To save money, many areas allow you to take your first two years at a cheaper tech school or community college and then transfer your credits over. In my state, if you did well in high school, you can get something called the Life scholarship that covers your tuition. The pell grant is based on income and is available all over I think...and some states additionally offer lottery money to help cover costs. Many times you can combine two of these methods at once. And then there are, of course, student loans. They are expensive, but you generally have six months before starting payment after graduation and you have years...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• To pay them off. If you do not want to owe money, you can usually get one of the other forms of aid and take classes only a couple each semester so the method you are using covers it all. Oh, and most any four year college, in terms of you major, will probably offer the courses you need. The best thing for you to do is to visit the college, find otu what the requirements for enrollment are...and discuss all of your options for payment with a financial aid officer. They can tell you anything you are eligible for, any special discounts you may get, and the nature of loans and scholarships. Good luck and congrats on your new endeavor! I'm going this fall as well, and I can't wait!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You can absolutely start at a community college. This is a great way to take your general education courses at a lower cost, and your credits will transfer to any nonprofit school.. www.fastweb.com is a great place to start your search for scholarship money.
    Stay away from for-profit programs; by law, they exist to make money for their shareholders/owners; education is not their primary focus.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• A Local college can work if they have a bachelors program in education. You can do a locla college for your associates though.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Are you wanting to become a teacher because it's something that you want to do? Because becoming a teacher isn't easy. You're looking at a minimum of 6 years of school and that's going full time.

They are also making it harder to become a teacher. My DH is a teacher and it was two years just in the college of education that isn't including the 4 years he took to get his degrees.

His last semester of school for his teaching certification was weeding out the weak. Too many people go into thinking that it's an easy job.

It's fantastic that you want to be a teacher, but it's a full time job just to go to school.

Anonymous

• I just finished my student teaching and will start my first teaching job in the fall. If you have had no college before, it will take at least 5 years full-time to become a full-fledged teacher. I have a BA, a MA, and I still had to take 2 more years of school once I decided to become a teacher so that I could get certified. If I'd known I wanted to be a teacher from the beginning it only would have taken 5.
    I think it's great that you want to be a teacher but know that it's hard work and yes you'll have summer vacation with your kids but you'll work more than enough during the school year to make up for it. I worked from 7:30 until at least 4, sometimes 5 at the school and then always at least an hour or so at home every night during student teaching. Plus several hours on weekends. I know that it'll get easier with practice - I'll start grading faster and planning faster, etc.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• (cont) I just want to point out that you may get summers off but you won't have a lot of time during the school year. It's not a job that you get to leave at work (unless you want to actually be at work all evening).
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• As for college & time -- my dd is almost 3, we will have another kid in the next 2years, so if all goes well it will be atleaste 5more yrs till I wont be a SAHM. .... The teachers aid thing sounds like a good idea though....
    Ive always wanted to become a teacher, most likely Math - any grade.....
    I know FOR SURE I want a "family friendly" job....
    Anonymous