Mammals & breastfeeding.

Why do humans out of all the mammals have the hardest time with nursing?
Ive never heard of a dog or cat unable to nurse! (maybe thats why they are so over populated-because newborns cannot survive without their mother teet!)
So why do humans have a hard time? DO you think it has anyth)ing to do with we have a choice of formula? Do you think that slowly our bodies will stop milk production since we are slowly not using that part of our bodies anymore (kinda like our wisdom teeth & appendix

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• I think that it very often is because there is another option, but not always, and I believe you are asking an honest question out of curiosity and not trying to start drama. Shame on anyone who comes in here and decides to make it drama!

This is my experience with breast and bottle. I breastfed both of my daughters until they self-weaned around 2 years of age each. My son was born last year and nursed like a champ for the first 6 weeks. Then something happened, sort of a combination of things really. My brother-in-law, who I was very close to, lost his battle with leukemia, and various other stresses happened at the same time. Immediately and rapidly, my son lost over 2 pounds and had to be hospitalized for failure to thrive. We believe that stress affected my supply, and combined with his small jaw, he couldn't get the nourishment that he needed. We worked and worked and worked to keep breastfeeding.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• uh no, this must be a question just to start some drama.... i tried to breast feed my dd, one boob wouldn't give milk, the other bled so no, it's not b/c we have the option to use formula
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• ...cont.

I am taking domperidone and pumping for 30 minutes every 2 hours. That's five hours a day spent at the breastpump! With all of that, I only get about 1/2 of what my son needs, so we have to supplement with formula because, outside of the hospital, my insurance will not cover human donor milk. My house has gone to hell, and I feel like I have no life, but I struggle on, determined to give as much breastmilk as I can for the first year. But it would be soooooo easy just to call it quits and give formula. In a situation like mine, I certainly wouldn't blame the ones who did.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think the answer is two fold. The first answer would be self-awarenss and stress. How many animals do you think realize that they have stress? Do the animals care that their house is a mess or their BIL has leukemia? They operate on a survival level. Either they have enough food or they don't. Plus don't think that just because some women have problems that all women are going to suddenly loose the ability to make milk. I've neever had a problem. I don't expect my daughters to have supply issues. The only way we would slowly loose the alblity to prouce milk is if nobody ever breastfed. Clearly there are two camps and the BFeeders aren't going to forget anytime soon.
    Anonymous