How did your life change after you had a baby?

thedarling

Asked by thedarling at 10:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Before babies my husband and I could decide one second to go someplace, for an evening or a weekend, and we'd just up and go. After babies going anywhere involved planning and packing and arranging.

That was one change. Others were that our focus was no longer on us but on the children.

Answer by Bmat at 10:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The real question should be how DIDN'T it change! Everything is different now. I don't even know where to start. If I had to sum it up I guess I'd say that they way you see the world is completely different - in a good way :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My life radically changed the night my daughter was born. I have never before nor since had a feeling come over me like that--it was a God thing. I went from a "feminist" to a stay-at-home mom:-) I never wanted kids, never really liked little kids--to wanting at least 7:-) I loved being a mom, home educating them, and I have been so blessed to  have three awesome kids. I never would have dreamed when I was 20 that I would spend the next 25 years raising my kids, home educating them, and loving being a SAHM. So it was the biggest, unexpected change in my whole life! Of course, that change started the day I found out I was pregnant two weeks after getting married--I truly thought I had food poisoning:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I also never saw myself as a "mom" and wasn't sure I wanted kids but my husband and I decided to have one - now I can't believe I ever thought about going through life without having a baby. It's the best thing EVER.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• EVERYTHING is different...you base YOUR life around the BABY! it's as simple as that...if baby doesn't allow it for whatever reason, you're not doing it. i.e. going out to dinner, out of town, whatever. unless of course you find a babysitter. but everything does change. It's the BEST change in the world. I don't miss anything we used to do. We used to go shopping at pottery Barn every weekend and buy something new for our new house...I don't think Ive been there more than once in the last 9 months since she was born! You just make adjustments, but they don't even feel like change b/c you are adapting to the greatest thing in the world.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• well... I remember once upon a time I wore dry clothes for a whole day!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 2:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Holy crap, everything changed! We've been married almost two years and have a 15 wk. old DD. What can I say but that I didn't leave the house for 4 wks (due to bf'ing and no pump), could barely pee or shower for the first 12 wks while my DH was at work and haven't slept for longer than a 3 hr. stretch at a time since she's been born! I can't go out at night anymore unless it's only for 2 or 3 hrs. max. I can only have 1 or 2 drinks and can't sleep without worrying she'll be up right after I"ve fallen asleep. Grocery shopping is damn near impossible. If you are asking b/c this is your first, it is true you just can't even fathom how different your life will be. Everything, I mean everything changes.
    Anonymous

• A new mom should NOT be having more than one or two drinks!!! Geez----for that matter a "normal" person only HAS one or two drinks if at all--in one day......read up on alcohol abuse....
    Anonymous