How do I get my 2yr old to go to sleep on his own?

my son will be 3 in October, and I still cannot get him to go to sleep on his own. Our bedtime ritual has turned into a battle of wills and tears. I have to go into his room and squeeze into his Thomas the Train toddler bed with him and he still cries for like an hour. my back can take no more, and i know its not good for him, but i can't bring myself to let him "cry it out" i feel so bad, because i know its my fault for not lying him down when he was a baby. i feel like i punishing him for my mistake. He had colic and i had to rock him, then when that was over my husband and i started letting him sleep with us, sometime in the middle of the night he still gets into my bed.

Neither of us are getting much rest and I can't take anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him to go to bed on his own, without the meltdowns?

thanks:::::::::

mandy0510

Asked by mandy0510 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son wouldn't go to sleep on his own as a baby. You may just have to let him cry it out. He is old enough that he knows he can get what he wants. I suggest doing the normal night time routine, put him in bed, say good night, and walk out. Go back into his room in 5 or 10 minute intervals. Tell him you love him, say good night and walk out again. If he gets out of bed put him back in his bed and tell him it is night time. At this point he knows you will lay down with him and he can play. I know it is not easy. I had to do this with my oldest son when he was 15 months and my younger son when he was 2. He will figure out that it is OK to go to sleep without you. Just stick with it. Don't give in and cuddle him or let him out of his bed. Good luck.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009