How much should I charge for babysitting?

ckramer

Asked by ckramer at 5:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends really. I paid my 14 yo niece $20 for 5 hours to watch my 4 and 5 year old... plus I bought them pizza and cokes AND she was allowed to bring a friend over and her sister and Nanny were there to help out. I have paid in excess of $10/hr for childcare with the thought being the more you pay the better the supervision... not sure that's always the case but I would say somewhere in that range is normal.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• one kid $5/ hour. 2 kids $7/ hour
    Anonymous

• If your a licensed daycare I would just set a monthly rate. But if your not I'd say 2.50 an hour per kid. I know if doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up quick.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It really depends on where you live, how often, the kids age, your experience as a sitter, etc. People say $10/hr and all I can say is are you kidding me? I only charge between $2-3/hr for one kid.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Ages and how many should vary but I agree with $5.00hr 1kid $7.00hr any more than one child. Stuff is expensive for kids too, ever price videos and Xbox games?
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 7:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Is this babysitting or daycare? For babysitting I pay $5/hour for our youngest and $1 for every child after that.ie. we have 5 children the sitter would get $9/hour. Usually if we are gone 2 hours we will give her $20, especially if they drove themselves or their parents brought them. As far as daycare, call around see what the going rate is. Around here it is about $19-$20 a day. Amazing isn't it. You pay a teenager more to go out for a leisurely time....and pay the person who is, basically raising your child and dealing with the every day problems....NOTHING!(shakes head and sighs) oh well. Hope that this helps out.
    Mae5

Answer by Mae5 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008