brushing teeth

my little boy is almost 2 yrs old and he wont let me brush his teeth. what can i do to make him want to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him see you doing it, and let him play with the toothbrush a little, kind-of doing it himself. That's probably what did it for my son. I used to have to pin him between my legs and open his mouth for him and get it done as quickly as possible. He's just turned 2, and now he'll come stand in front of me and open his mouth on his own and then I'll let him have the toothbrush and he'll move it around in his mouth (not effective, but that's why I get in there too), and sometimes he even throws a fit because he can't reach his toothbrush and he wants to brush his teeth. It's all in the persistence; just keep at it and you'll get there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have a 19 month old and he wouldn't let me touch his teeth with a brush last month. I bought him a tooth brush so he can play with it. Now he lets us have it for about 2 swipes.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We had the same problem with our 2 yr old. I always to try to get him to cooperate but we eventually did what the pediatrician recommended. Lay him on the floor with his head between your legs, put him arms under you legs (you'll be looking at him upside down) and brush. (most likely while he protests..) Each time we brushed his teeth, we gave him the option to sit on his stool and let us brush. (Tell him to say "aah".) If he cooperated, great. If it didn't, we laid him down. In no time at all he was cooperating. we also let him brush his own teeth to start. Once in while his brush even comes in contact with a tooth! Then we take over.
    Anonymous