Do you think it is rude to send a gift list for a childs Birthday?

My daughter is going to be 3. We will be having a birthday party. I was wondering if you think it is rude to send a gift list out. We always get asked what she likes and needs and I thought it would be nice to give people ideas. But I wrote on the bottom they could get her what they wanted. These were just some ideas. I know that sometimes people get offended to these things, but I myself would actually like to know what a person wanted or needed. That way I knew it would get used. Thanks for your opinion ahead of time.

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have an idea...what about creating a "wish list" on a site such as Toys R Us or Amazon, and giving the wish list URL address only to close family members and friends (those that actually ask you what they can bring), and let THEM tell the other guests...kind of like having a wedding or baby registry. That way it's not really coming from you, and it will still be a surprise?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think it is a bit rude. I have never seen anyone do that. Keep the list with you so when they call you can give them a few ideas.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, a bit rude. If they ask then Id tell them a couple of ideas. If they dont ask then I would let it go.

If someone sent me a list, Id feel a bit like they thought I was stupid or something and couldnt figure out what a child that age would like.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would think it was rude - to me, it looks like its all about the presents than having that person actually there for the party and the fun. I'm not saying this is what it is, just what it appears to be.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think it is rude. If people want to know, they will ask you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think it is very rude. If someone really needs Ideas of what to get her, then people are smart enough to pick up a phone and ask. Something like that on an invitation would make me think twice about bringing anything at all. It makes it look like gifts are required, which means the party is for getting stuff, and not a celebration of the birthday girl.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It is extremely rude to include a gift list. Many people find it offensive for people to include where they're registered for wedding gifts in a wedding invitation so I would imagine an actual list will REALLY tick people off. It's like you're saying "you're invited to this party only if you bring a gift." Your list is a huge NO-NO. Just answer the question when asked of you. Keep your wish list in your head, not in the invitation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes. if i dont know what to get a child ill get a gift card, and something small i know they'll like ... then they can shop theirselves. i would feel as if your telling me what i BETTER get , as opposed to what i think she would like
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Okay, Thanks ladies, I thought I would just get opinions:) I knew people would think it was rude. I was just contemplating it. I WOULD NOT find it rude at all though. I really like knowing what someone wants and needs:) I know of someone that just had a party and did that and out of all of the people only 2 thought it was rude. The rest thought it was a good idea and she had alot of people there.
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2009