When did you send your kids to school, at 5 or 6?

My boys are a lot smaller then average, I was thinking of starting them in school at age 6 instead of 5. Just wondering if there where any Moms that did the same and if there were any problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my mom has always said boys need the extra year at home to mature. Im sure alot of boys have gone at 5 and been fine, but in general it seems to benefit them to go at 6! My friend sent hers at 5 then tried to hold him back in Kindergarten so he could mature and the school said it is not her choice..if he passes he goes on. She really regrets it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son was 5..he was on the small size, he still is at 13. He has done fine, but, he also will stand up for himself in a heartbeat and forget that he is smaller. LOL You can always try it and change you mind if you see problems.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• O thank you for your input very helpful to know that.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 11:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Instead of physical size you may want to go by skills and how advanced the child is. If he is already reading, for example, if he knows his numbers, then he is ready to start school, unless there is an emotional issue. The son of one of our friends just wasn't ready emotionally, poor kid cried every day in kindergarten. I wanted to keep my sons home longer, both were small, but both were reading and ready to be in school academically.

Answer by Bmat at 12:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am doing this, my son just completed a year of private K and now is preparing to do a year of public K. We call them preschool K and Big boy K, so that he knows the difference. lol

I am a teacher and I can tell you that holding back a year has HUGE benifits for kids. But if you choose to do this, then you need to keep him active with other children and learning that whole year even though he is not in school.

You can message me if you want.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think I will put them in pre-school at 5 and then K at 6 -Thank you
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 12:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• That is a great way to go CarrienKansas! I think you will look back and be very happy with your decision!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My kids all started kindergarten at 5. My oldest has a June birthday so she had just turned 5. She has always been small and is the smallest kid in her class by a few inches. She's going into the 4th grade in the fall and is barely 4' tall. She's the size of a 6 year old (she'll be 9 in a couple weeks). I never even considered holding her back. She was reading at a 2nd grade level by the end of kindergarten even though she was still 5. She was ready for school.
    My son started at 5 and then like 5 weeks later he turned 6. My middle daughter started at 5 and turned 6 a couple months into the school year. The oldest actually did better in school despite how young she was at the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My daughter went to a private preschool at 18 months and then when we moved out here she went to Pre K and skipped kindergarten. She went to first at a private school. This year she will be in second grade and go to a public school. Can't afford to pay for private school anymore.
    mom2cowgirl

Answer by mom2cowgirl at 2:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am a child educator. Children don't care about their size. The ? you should be asking is r u ready to send him. and do you beleive he is ready to go.
    If so SEND HIM....
    debbol

Answer by debbol at 2:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009