Christians with same sex tendencies

I AM NOT trying to start drama and I really don't want to see a bunch of other people starting it either. I am honestly curious and none of the gay people I know in person associate themselves as Christian, so I come here to listen to your own personal answers if you are gay and Christian.

How do you reconcile your lifestyle with your faith, knowing what the scriptures teach about homosexuality?

I apologize, in advance, because I know there will be those who ignore my intentions for this post and will use it to spew ignorance and hatred and stir the pot, but I really am curious. Thanks to those of you who are brave enough to answer honestly and without creating tension.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 12:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm straight, but I believe that there's nothing wrong with being homosexual (I believe the word that we derived homosexual from in the Bible is pederasty, which does not mean loving, committed relationships - its homosexual rape, homosexual prostitution, and pedophilia.) that would inhibit one's ability to be Christian or interfere with their "Christianness" in any way. So I believe its perfectly acceptable to be Christian and gay - just as acceptable as it is to be Christian and straight.
    I was born straight and never chose to be, and I don't presume to believe homosexuals chose to be gay, rather that they, too, were born with their sexuality, just as I.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• In my opinion there are a lot of people walking around calling themselves Christians and living lives that dont show it. To me, that shows you were not truely saved and have not surrendered your desires for HIS.

Basically, people can call themselves Christians all day long. But that does not make it so.

If you are truly saved, then you desire to live as close to God as you can. That DOES NOT make you perfect. But you would be trying to get away from that lifestyle, not comfortably living in it.

Does that make sense?
    Anonymous

• I am not gay, nor am i educated about it in anyway s take this with agrain of salt. I think alcoholics are born gentically prediposed to alcoholism, I think most gays feel they were born gay. So how can it be wrong if God made them that way? Is it something they can "overcome" with work, therapy and training? We all have desires/ or it is in our nature to sin and have to keep our focus on God to stay on His path and follow His way. I think it is something they would have to acknowlegde and learn ways to "overcome" it.
    Anonymous

• Some don't have a problem with gays as long as they suppress their need for the homosexual acts and not give in to the sinful feelings and temptations. I persoanlly know a Christian family who's son came out to them and they tried to 'cure' him of his homosexuality by telling him to pray and to not give in to the deisire in other words- repress his true self, live a lie and pretend to be happy. Did it work? No. They finally came around, accepted him for who he is and now they are all happy.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I AM NOT GAY BUT I AM CLOSE TO A LOT OF GAY WIHCH I WORK WITH AND THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS ARE THE ONES THAT GO THROUGH LIFE LIVING IT A LIE FOR THE SAKE OF HOLINESS, THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT MARRY INTO A HETEROSEXUAL RELATIONSHIP ONLY TO DESTROY THE MARRIAGE AND IN SOME CASES CHILDREN BORN FROM IT INTO A CONFUSING AND TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE. THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO ACCEPT WHO YOU ARE, AND FOR FAMILIES WITH THE CHRISTIAN CONCEPT TO CUT THEM SOME SLACK SO THEY CAN LEAD PRODUCTIVE LIVES INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT GOING TO HELL FOR IT.

THIS IS WHERE GAY YOUTH THAT COME FROM THIS UPBRINGING HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME WITH IT, AND OFTEN OPT FOR THE EASY WAY OUT IN THEIR MINDS WHICH IS SUICIDE. THEY CAN'T HELP WHAT AND WHO THEY ARE AND SO NOT TO EMBARRESS THEIR FAMILIES END UP TAKING THEIR LIVES. THIS IS WHY I URGE PARENTS THAT HAVE TO DEAL WITH HOMOSEXUALITY TO SEE THE PERSON INVOLVED INSTEAD OF THE SIN,

Answer by older at 12:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Well, your statement isn't entirely knowledgeable, older. I know many gay people who live openly gay lives and go to churches with their partners. I just don't know them well enough to feel comfortable asking them this question, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable either.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Bandgeek, I had never heard anyone use that particular theory before. Thanks for sharing that. Interesting.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• MISSES NICK, I ALSO KNOW MANY GAY COUPLES WHO DO THE SAME, NOT NECESSARILY IN A CHRISTIAN ENVIRONMENT THOUGH. I CAN TELL YOU OFF THE BAT THAT GAY COUPLES FEEL NO SHAME OR CONSIDER THEMSELVES LIVING IN SIN, THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES LIVING WITH LOVE.

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• misses_nick, if you're really interested in this kind of thing, I would highly recommend watching "For the Bible tells me so". Its emotional, as it discusses the way fundamentalists treat homosexuals, but it also offers a positive light on homosexuality from a Christian standpoint. There's even a study guide you can find online that goes over what the documentary discusses. I think its very informative, talks about homosexuality in regard to the Bible, talks about the horror of the way homosexuals are treated, and even goes into a couple of stories about homosexuals and their families - the homosexual bishop that was elected in the Lutheran church is in it, too, which I thought was awesome. Just looking at him and seeing him talk, IMO, you can sense a love about him and a holiness, too. I thought it was very moving, the whole piece. Its something I highly recommend to anyone interested in this, and its on youtube, in parts.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I grew up FASCINATED With breasts. That grew into a sexual desire for women. YEah I knew men are who I am supposed to amry but that it isn't ok in God's eyes. I think homosexual tendencies are Satan's way fof decieving. If youhave ever met a Gay man most of them love boobs and admit they think the female body is sexually attractive. No one is fully gay, they might say it but not truel. But some might take their gift of not caring about sex and see seomthing wrong with them. God gave that gift to peter, he never married and said it was so much more easier to spread God's word and do his work when you didn't have a spouse. So it's a gift but Satan has taken what God has created and corrupted it. So Satan gives us those sexual tendency's and convinces us of them. Imo everyone has a choice, yes you may be born that way but you also can't deny your attraction to the opposite sex.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009