I have severe adult acne and I am SOOOOO embarrased!! I feel like a highschool girl!!! I know this question has probably been asked a lot but I need help!!

I have tried proactive, and acne free from wal mart and nothing works!! I am at my wits end!!! I hate leaving the house because I feel so grose...I dont wear make up because I worry it will break me out. I bought neutragena foundation w solitic acid and I hope that helps...I dont know so any tips would be help ful!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Are you on Birth control? The dermatologist recommended my daughter get on BC to help her acne. The Gyn Dr. put her on that YAZ as it is known for helping medium to severe acne. She has been on it since November and I have noticed a marked improvement. You might check with your Dr.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• This happened to me last fall, I don't know if it was stress or what, but my forehead would not stop breaking out, it was really bad for a few months. I tried all sorts of over the counter stuff, nothing worked. I finally went to a dermatologist and got a presciption anti-biotic ointment. Cleared it up in 2 or 3 days and it never came back.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Go to a dermatologist. They will help tremendously.

I had adult acne until I discovered that drinking orange juice did it. I stopped drinking OJ every morning in favor of cranberry juice, and the acne cleared up. So I tried OJ again and in a couple days, acne again. So experiment around and see if something you are eating or drinking is doing it. But going to a skin doctor is my main suggestion.

Answer by Bmat at 12:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I had really bad cystic acne in my late teens/early twenties. I went to a dermatologist because it was so bad and got put on accutane. That worked and I'm acne free. I still get pimples here and there, but nothing like I used to have. If your face is really terrible, go see a doctor. I know exactly how you feel and understand how embarrassing it can be.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my only advice is to be careful with the products. I use only 100% all natural vegan soaps on my face (they are called cold process soaps and they are leaps and bounds better than store soaps which are basically just detergents and dry out and damage your skin)
    OK so my soap is all natural, and has good oils as its base, and uses essential oils of tea tree and lavender. Those are important because both have cleansing clearing properties for skin. After I wash with that soap, I apply tea tree oil (get it in the pharmacy area) directly to any breakouts using a Qtip. Then I use cetaphil moisturizer (its the most gentle). I also do it every morning and let it dry an hour before using any makeup.

Sometimes when I need extra clearing I use Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask.

Since doing this, my adult acne is almost 100% cleared up, except on my cycle (birth control didnt help with that) when I do get 1 or 2, the tea tree oil works
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If your skin cant clear up naturally (give it a month to work) I would say accutane might be a good route. Its expensive, and its very toxic to your body.. but it WORKS and it can permanently fix the problem. If my skin hadnt cleared naturally I may have gone that route. I tried EVERYTHING.. I tried proactive, acnefree, dr. Murad, topical creams from the dermatologist, pills, birth control, peels, microdermabrasion... nothing helped. Accutane is serious stuff but if the all natural route isnt working, go for it.

good luck

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 2:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• have you tried clean and clear yet???? it works on me when i start ot break out.....see if that works.....you can buy a kit for lik $10 or $20 at wal-mart.
    Blakesbabygirl

Answer by Blakesbabygirl at 7:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I've had a lifelong problem with it too! I sell Avon and they recently came out with a kit called Avon Clearskin Professionals I've had a lot of success with it! I love the fact that it clears up my skin but doesn't make it peel or dry it out. You can try it at www.youravon.com/dhullum use code fsany for free shipping. If you also have oily skin the Magix Face Perfector is the best thing on Earth.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Ugh- I have been suffering for 10 years. I hate it. It really has chipped at my self esteem. I have tried EVERYTHING. I am going off all the harsh produts and trying Burts bee soap and tomatoe astringent and a gentle lotion. I am at a loss. I also have purple spots on my face from past breakouts. I have taken more meds and more nonsense. I have already cancelled on my reunion because I just don't want to do it. I feel your pain. :)
    Soccerdiva

Answer by Soccerdiva at 11:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009