first baby and scared about the labor part.. any ideas how to make things easyer on myself..

Hi,

first baby and i am soo scared about the pain and if things will go good. I am lowrisk.. but ahhh. now n days things are soo diffrent about labor.. Has anyone seen business being born?? That movie scared me.. now i am paranoid about labor.. lol uhh help??

NewMomToBe84

Asked by NewMomToBe84 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• read read read! learn all that you can.knowing what your body is doing helps you deal with it better. i really liked the book natural childbirth the bradlley way by susan mccutcheon-rosegg. it is helpful even if you dont want to go all natural!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• lol no i have neverr seen it buti have had 2 babies and yes it hurts it hurts like hell but as soon as you hear that little ones first cry you forget all about it .
    when you are delieverying dont scream when you push . try to just hol d your breathe and bear down that will be a better push and the more good pushes you have the faster the baby will be there
    with my first i was screamign lol barely pushing and it took 8 hours
    with my daughter i didnt scream and pushed and it only took 10 mins
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• LOL, hon I think ever woman is scared about there first time they go in labor, I was terrified out of my mind. My son wasnt even suppose to make it. The pain is bad i wont lie, but you just have to remember it will end and when it does you will have a wonderful little baby... I had my son naturally with out any meds or an IV. To me the pain was bad but not to bad, I think tooth pain is worse then labor pain any day. Try watching some labor videos on youtube and other sites to see what those women went through... that helped easy me alittle... and everyone handles labor differently... good luck hon
    Anonymous

• There is no need to be scared and that wasn't what BOBB was trying to do. It was trying to get people to think about the risk and rediculousness quite frankly of the medical intervention used in birth in this country. It's a good thing that you saw it because now you can become fully educated about birth and question the routine things that may be thrown your way.

As far as helping to reduce fear I HIGHLY recommend Hypnobabies birthing class. You can get information about it at www.hypnobabies.com
    Anonymous

• just educate yourself! do lots of research and talk to other Moms (those that won't try to scare you with their labor stories--I got those alot). Learning about what your body is going through (and your baby) gives you a better understanding.

Just know that it IS going to hurt...but go in there knowing you can handle it--whether that's with natural methods or IV drugs or the epidural. try to stay as relaxed as possible and let your body do the work, don't fight your contractions, you kinda just have to go with the flow. if you're going natural, try LOTS of different positions until you find something that works for you and BREATHE! if you want pain meds, get the meds. and like another Mom said, pushing can be the hardest part..for me it was the most exhausting, and I only pushed for 20mins! Labor was the most painful, but the pushing was the most tiring!

Good Luck Momma! Just remember your body is meant for child birth!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was absolutely terrified to go into labor with my son. I was scared right up until I went into labor, after that my instincts took over and everything went pretty smoothly. Just try not to freak your self out too badly. You have to be relaxed and ready before you can go into labor. Everything will be fine, don't worry, just relax and let it happen.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would read all that you can about all different possible things that could happen then put all of it away about a month before delivery. You will be able to remember what you have read but there is no need to stress about it. There are things in place to let you feel as much or as little as you want during delivery. You will be AMAZED by your body...it will know what to do just focus on it and labor will move smoothly. Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• nothing will make it better but everything will make it worst. Don't read nothing stop watching messed up movies thats why they are movies.. when you get back in the room to push that baby out.. all that scaredness will disapear and nothing will be more important to you then getting that baby out soo you can see it count its little toes and fingers.. everything will be fine i was scared witless im scared witless with number 2 but i know that all the pain is worth it in the end and you dont even really remember it too much you just remember that first cry and the first time you get to hold the baby.. just think about that.. an that should help you get threw it
    tashiababe

Answer by tashiababe at 2:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I just had my baby 3 weeks ago and I was also TERRIFIED of labor. I ended up being in labor for 14 hours and then getting a c-section because I wasn't progressing. I started watching the business of being born in my last week of pregnancy and am SO GLAD I decided to shut it off after a few minutes. Here's the deal - it's not pleasant. I had an epidural and obviously was numb during the c-section so there isn't a lot of intense pain, it's more just uncomfortable... I can honestly tell you that it was NOT as bad as I thought it would be. I know people say this all the time, but seriously if I can do it you can do it. I am the biggest wimp ever. Feel free to message me if you want anymore information. I know what it's like to be terrified and I know that hearing everyone on here tell you it will be ok doesn't help!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009