How often does your 2month old nurse?

My son nurses almost every 2 hours(except when he goes down for the night) my son's pedi said that is a lot..is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They eat when they need to and as long as he is not gaining too much then leave it alone. It is a little above average (by 2 months they are typically going 3-4 hours between feedings), but nothing to be concerned about. Every child is different. Make sure you are letting him finish on one side before moving to the other to get more hind milk in him and if you aren't offering both sides then offer both sides. I would nurse the left side until they fell asleep or let go and then change their diaper to wake them up and nurse them on the right side. The next time I started on the right. I kept a hair band on my wrist to remind me which side. The hind milk will make him feel fuller and possibly keep him from nursing as often.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's pretty rare for breastfeed infants to go longer than about 2hrs. between feedings until they are quite a bit older. At 2mos. sometimes my baby would nurse again 20-45min. after he had just nursed, other times it was 3hrs. between feedings. Just feed your baby when he is hungry and let him stop when he is full. He knows what he needs.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Mine did, too. She ate every 2 hours for some weeks and now eats about every 3 or 4 and is 15 wks. I think it's normal.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• DON'T EVER LISTEN TO YOUR PEDIATRICIAN ABOUT BREASTFEEDING!!
    They don't take any courses on it and are CLUELESS about it. Get advice from mom's that breastfed or a lactation consultant or kellymom.com.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Honey, I was lucky if I had a chance to put my shirt back on with both bra straps done before the next feeding :)

It isn't a lot, thats perfectly normal.
    gracesmom911

Answer by gracesmom911 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009