another crazy MIL

my MIL doesn't talk to us hardly. She doesn't invite us to her younger kids birthday parties or her thanksgiving dinners. DH & I have NEVER once been invited to her house in the whole time we've been together which is about 2 years. We have however brought her & her family to our house for a number of things. We ran into her at Target the other day & she was trying to tell me what to name my child & that when I have this baby she is going to take it all the time. I found this slighty off because we never see or hear from her though she lives 15 minutes away. She has always been slightly rude to me. At my wedding she even had the nerve to say she was worried about me marrying DH! wtf? I give him everything. if it was my choice she wouldnt even be at the hospital to see my child. What would you do or say to a MIL like this? I feel like she has no right to even be invited to bday parties. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Odd's are good that she still won't be very involved, and that what happened at the store was more for show.

But sometimes it is the birth of a child that can pull a family back togather. I would take it slow and see where this goes and play each day one at a time.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• she's probably running her mouth just to look good. I would still invite her to events so she looks like the bad guy when she doesn't show up.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 1:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It probably won't happen. I have a MIL like that. It's all for show. She was at the hospital for 10 minutes when my son was born, just so she could say she was there. He is one year old now, and I can count on a single hand the times she has seen him... and when she visits, she doesnt pay attention to him. Just ignore her. However, do invite her to see her grandbaby. It makes you the better person.
    Anonymous