hand, foot and mouth

My poor baby has just been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth. So many problems with this and questions I have! First, DS is a twin! So, I'm worried that DD has it as well, but just isn't showing signs yet. The second is that we try to keep everything as clean as possible, but I'm afraid there may be stuff that I'm not thinking about. So, here are my questions... How do you keep all of their stuff separate? Would you buy a sterilizer and which one is good? Would you stop the cereal for now? I'm thinking that last one goes without saying, but I just figured I'd ask. Anybody else's child(ren) have it? Can you give me some insight? Thanks so much! I just feel so horrible for him!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 12:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, Calm down.... Just make sure you Lysol things around them and use very diluted bleach water to clean their toys. You can still feed them as long as the bump in their mouth aren't too bad. And, if one has it chances are the other one does too. Just keep and eye on both and keep things clean for a bit. All will be fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Both of mine had this when they were younger. i just remember they had pretty bad diareah that in turn, caused diaper rashes. So I would go ahead and start putting lots of Desitin on their tushes to protect them. Sometimes, it doesnt help but maybe.

They also felt terrible and ran temps.

You didnt say how old they were, but I would feed them cereal if they wanted it, but I wouldnt push it.

I would make sure to wash your hands a lot, but other than that. Kids will ususally pass these type of things to their siblings, especially since they are so close in age.

Sorry you've got sick little ones!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Sorry they are 5 months old
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son had it, got it from my sister's baby. Like the other poster said, make sure you are constantly washing your hands. With my son, he wouldn't eat anything at all because it hurt too bad, so i just gave him popsicles. As far as yours being so little, I'd stick to formula, the cereal might hurt their mouths. A sterilizer is a great idea. I had one before, but I can't remember the brand. Due to the fact that this is highly contagious, a sterilizer would really help. Just try to keep them comfy as best as you can. Make sure that everything is as clean as possible, they like to put things in their mouths a lot. But other than that, there isn't a whole lot you can do.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My dd had it and what the doctor did to help her eat since she stopped eating and drinking due to the pain was she gave her some numbing gel. I would dip her paci in it and she would be able to eat a few minutes later. It is also a good idea to bleach down everything (diluted bleach water) to try to prevent the spread.
    lovinjamesnbri

Answer by lovinjamesnbri at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009