how do I tell them to back off

my daughter birthday is coming up and i wanted to throw her a party. it's been on and off because people keep butting in with their opinion of how they think the party should go.what i should buy.i recently lost my job so money is kind of low. i want to get things that i could afford.it's pissing me off becuz they think things should go a certain way.i wanna plan her party all by myself ..like they invited 18 kids plus there parents..i can't feed all of their mouths..what should i do.

amiyamom

Asked by amiyamom at 12:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• If they invited the people, talk to them and tell them your problem and that you'll need help financing the party. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 12:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Tell them that YOURE planning this party and if theyre going to invite so many people theyre paying for the whole thing! with you still planning it haha. Orrrrrr Id say "I didnt invite those people they cant come!"
    Anonymous

• Tell them you need them to contribute financially since they invited too many people.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Tell everyone to butt out that you can only afford so much so you need to do this the way you want it. If they don't want to keep there noses out of it then they can pay for the party.
    OR you can have each person that doesn't want to keep there nose out of it then they can each make a big dish of something for the party.
    This is your childs party so you have all the say in it. Hope this helps you out some.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Who are the ones butting in? I jsut had to throw one for my son yest the guest list had over 60 people. I cant affiord to feed tha tmany either or buy a lot of decs. heres what we did. im not trying to butt in like the rest just give idea take it or leave it.

I threw it in my garage from 2 - 4. there was no meal. i had a cooler of bottles of water. a cooler with beer (not that many drank it was jsut there), and a pitcher of lemonade. I had cake and ive cream. luckily my MIL makes cakes so she mad them, otherwise I would have made them myself. everyone came. we had tables up in the garage and we ahve ltos of toys and a swingset for the kuids to play. I laid a blanket on the floor to open presents on. then after that we had cake and watched him eat his. then everyone hung out for a lil bit longer and left around 4. it all went fine. for decs. i had a nice tablecloth over the table we put the cake on. cont
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Who is "they"?? "They" need to be giving you some money for the party....doesn't matter what your financial situation is. That is just wrong.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• it was fireman themed. then we had matching cake plates and napkins. Then i had jstu reg red and blue plastic cups, whatever leftover we can jsut use anytime. it didnt cost much and still looked good. i also thoguht about taking some of the toy firetrucks we have laying around and use them as table decs, btu i didnt want all the kids to play with them and braeak them. Good luck. ITs your child so you can jsut liten and smile and nod when people give you advice then say you'll think about it, and do it your way.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would remind everyone that since it is MY child I will do things MY way, and if they don't like too bad, they don't have to show up. I would let them know that finances are limited, and you are only inviting so many people from your guest list-- no 'extras' allowed! If they keep harping then say "okay, if you want x,x,x, to be at the party you will need to pay me $50 toward the party to cover the cost of YOUR guests". (that might get some re-thinking the add-ons).
    For food- I would just do cake (or cupcakes), ice cream and punch-- you should not be expected to provide a full meal especially for so many people.
    For my kids birthdays I like to do cupcakes-- they are individually portioned, and less mess. And if you make them from a box mix- they feed more people than a 8 round cake does.
    I hope everyone will back off and let you plan the party. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If they want to throw the party then let them, but tell them they have to pay for it. You no longer have the finances to throw a large party, but if they want to tell them to do it. When they don't like this idea, then do the party your way. Have a barbecue and ask close family and friends bring something. This way you will have plenty for every one and you won't go broke. For my dds b-day baked a cake and let her decorate it herself. That saved us money and she was very proud of it. I didn't buy any gift bags. I bought some candy and small toys and put it in a big bowl. We had some games and the winners got to choose their prize. At the end of the party everyone got to get what they wanted from the bowl so I didn't have to worry about having a bunch of extra at the house. One good thing about having a big party is your dd will get more gifts. The more gifts people bring the less you have to spend. good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I feel for you. My mil tried to help but then ended up taking over with another Martha Stewart type wannbe. Her friend was so nasty that after my husband and I had my son's party at a hotel with a clown, as she left she told my mil great party Marie. As if I never did anything. Typical glue gun holly hobbie loser. We of course never invited her again to anything.
    Anonymous