Can bad Diarrhea cause a baby to be lactose intolerant temporarily?

I posted this late lastnight and didn't get anything so I wanted to try again. My Daughter Ava who is 12 months was really sick about a month ago with the Rotovirus. She had such bad diarrhea that they had to admit her to the hosp to give her fluids. Well the Dr said that when a baby looses fluids his/her body acts as though it is lactose intolerant and not to give her anything milk based for 2 weeks. Well like I said it has been 4 weeks and I tried giving her yogurt today and her tummy was going crazy and then she had diarrhea about 30 min later. We had to switch her formula to similac sensitive and it's making getting her off formula really tough seeing as how she hates lacto free milk. Has anyone else heard of this? Will she be lactose intolerant forever? She loves whole milk, cheese and yogurt. I am calling the Dr to make her an appt today but any answers would be most helpful. Thanks for reading!

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has she tried soy formula? My son started having trouble with regular formula and we switched, he loved it and a lot of tummy problems went away.
    Anonymous

• When your tummy is upset then gernally dairy products don't make it feel any better because your stomach acid, ph, etc are all off. The dairy products curdle in your stomach and make it not fun :(
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:59:
    She's doing great with Similac senstive but she's a year old and I want to switch her to milk but she can't drink it without having diahhera and she hates soy or lacto free milk. The Dr said it would only affect her for 2 weeks and now we're on week 4.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my twins were 2 months early and had to stay in the NICU for 48 days...I pumped the entire time. Then 2 days before they came home the nurses/doctors said the reason they were having so many stomach problems was because they were lactose intolerant. They had to be on Enfamil lacto-free formula and then WIC didn't offer that so now they are on Enfamil Prosobee and they are doing amazing on it. (I recently gave them some breastmilk I pumped a while back and they loved it...so guess the lactose intolerance is gone, but I'm not changing the formula...it isn't broken so i'm not fixing it.)
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 1:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, that can happen. I would ask the doctor about starting some probiotics... stuff to replace the good bacteria in her stomach that help break down some of that lactose. Yogurt has it... but it's also dairy and can cause problems. You can get it in caps that you open and sprinkle on her food... but ask the doctor which kind.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009