6 month old baby solid food schedule?

Hi moms, my 6 month old son is all set to start on solids. I am completely overwhelmed by how to go about it and was hoping i could get some help here :)for ex what sort of feeding schedule should i follow? do i give formula first and then the solid? how often should i give him solids? currently i started him off on rice cereal once a day. Its gone good so far and i think i should introduce more foods now. what food would be best to introduce? any schedules followed by other moms would help me a great deal to get an idea ..thanks in advance :):)

elizabee

Asked by elizabee at 1:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im a pediatric nurse and this is what we give new moms for a solid schedule breakfast 5oz bottle mid morning bottle 5oz bottle and jar of food lunch 5oz bottle dinner 5 oz bottle and jar of solid then night time 5oz bottle and do the bottle first then solids. some foods would be green beans/pea's/sweet potatoes/ simple foods
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 1:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I give the solids before the formula b/c I find that after the bottle he gets full and doesn't want the solids then. Even though they get their nutrition from the formula still, I still want him to eat the solids. Mornings are good for some cereal and fruit. Afternoons I do some veggies. Evenings are good for veggies or meats. But I don't think you do meats at 6 months. My son is now 8 months and Ijust tried to give him turkey...haha, he did not like it. He at his veggies though.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• When first starting on solids, it is usually recommended to give them after a regular breast or bottle feeding, or inbetween feeding. This is because breastmilk and/or formula should remain baby's main source of nutrition throughout the first year, with solids being mostly just extra.

Starting w/ just a small amount of solids like you are doing is a great idea. Give each new food alone for at least 3-5 days to watch for any reaction. I usually introduce new foods early in the day, that way if baby has any problems w/ it, the reaction won't occur during the middle of the night. Next you could try bananas, sweet potatoes, applesauce, avocados, squash, or pears. They are all great beginner foods. HTH.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I did Ceral then a 6 oz bottle then at lunch i did half of jar of fruit then an 8 oz bottle then at dinner i did the other half of fruit and Ceral then a 4 oz bottle then before bed an 8 oz bottle.

Some mommy's start there child out with veggies and that will work also. Do one kind of fruit a week just in-case they have a reaction. With the ceral i increased ceral every other week by a tablespoon. I did'nt start my DD on chicken or turkey baby food till she was 8 months old. I would just see how your son does on that do it slowly his belly has to adjust so like if you want to start tomorrow start with the fruit  in the afternoon and if he doesn't eat all of it thats fine go slowly he will be eating you out of house and home in no time.

I hope this helps you out. Have fun it my get messy : ) it's a really fun time for you and him.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• well my 6month old eats a lot 2 jars stage 2 and 5tbs of rice/oat daily. but he started at 4mos with (one feeding) rice/oats, new one every 3 days. at 5mos he started stage 1 food for lunch. and 6 mos he started stage2 for dinner. i give him his solids about 30min or hour after his bottles, and hes still ready for his next bottle 3 hours after the first bottle. but if your just starting, my doc told me rice for 2 weeks, or until its somewhat thick, then start stage one food, just remember only one new food every 3 days, so you will know if they are allergic. they will turn their head or not open their mouth when full, so id just go with how much he wants. good luck.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009