How do I get my 20 month old to take a nap in a toddler bed?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm trying to transition my 16 mo old into a toddler bed in his big brother's room (we only have 2 br, and 3 kids.... the little baby sleeps in our room, so we're quickly running out of space!) so we started hm out going to bed at night in his toddler bed. We would tuck him in, make sure he had his "dawg" (stuffed animal he sleeps with) and close the door on our way out. the first couple of nights he would scream for a little bit and finally go to sleep (once he fell asleep infront of the door, had to pick him up and move him to the bed). Now that he'll go down comfortably at night, we've started putting him in there for naps. Sometimes he'll scream some... other times he just goes right to bed. Just make sure there's nothing "fun" to do, and let him CIO. Check on him after a few minutes, reassure him and remind him that its naptime... then leave him alone.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Since crying it out won't work for everyone (my son would bounce himself off the furniture...), here's what we did. I would put him down to sleep just like we did in his crib and leave. I'd give him time to settle. If he was screaming, I went back in. I would stay in the room with him as long as he stayed in his bed. Just be boring and don't interact with him at all. If he got back out, I left. I'd give him a few minutes to either settle or scream, then went back in. Eventually he settled, I found it easier to focus first on getting him to settle at night (either rocking him to sleep at nap time or skipping the occaisional nap if he was playing quietly in his room). Once he had that down, naptime followed more easily. My husband and I differed on whether to have toys in his room. I found he would often play for a bit then go to sleep so he has a couple.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009