Said I wouldn't but I did...

It's funny how before you become a parent you say you won't do certain things w/ your kids...then you actually have them and that changes. For example: I said I would never co-sleep. Now I love naps w/ my daughter. She will nap w/ me in my bed.
What is something you said you would never do that you do now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• My Granny shared some advice with me when I was pregnant with my first child. "Don't ever say that your kids won't do something. Because that's exactly what they will do."

I swore that I would never park my kids in front of the TV for any reason. Now I have two girls and a boy set to arrive within three weeks, and there are days when the only was I can get anything done is to make them a snack and turn on Noggin!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• everything i said i would nto do i dont do it so i guess i actually followed thru on what my plans were
    Anonymous

• hmm...same thing. We co-sleep. My hubby and I are not rollers so it is safe for us. lol. but my son loves to sleep with us...which is gonna be hard to break him of. I try the crib but he doesn't sleep through the night. I'm sure there will be more things that I will give in to. I joke now and say he is the boss of me. I just don't want him to be the boss when he is like 3.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I always said that I would never ever be that parent telling other kids what to do or how to behave. As soon as I had my child and we shared communal space with other kids like slides in the park, it was second nature to tell other children to wait for their turn and not to push my little one. And yes, I smiled thinking yeap I became one of those parents.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, before I had my oldest I was adamant about getting a 2bdrm. apartment so he could have his own room. But we ended up cosleeping and it was the best thing ever! I even decided to cosleep (by choice) with my other 2 children.
    I said my kids would never watch more than 30min. of TV per day, and no TV before age two. Well, I do no TV until age 1, but they watch up to 2hrs. of TV almost every day! I said I would never yell at or spank my kids. I rarely spank (only my 5yr. old occasionally) but I do yell much more than I would like. I wanted to be a "perfect" parent, but I'm not. I'm human.
    Anonymous

• I so agree anon :27... Children don't come with a handbook and if they did I'm afraid I would have thrown it our yrs ago,lol... We have children that people love to be around, get compliments all the time so in my mind I think I've done something right.. It's the hardest job in the world and I wouldn't trade it for anything...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

LIAR
    Anonymous

• Huh - I didn't even bother setting myself up for that kind of fall. I just decided to do my best, try to not make promises I couldn't keep (even to myself), and go with the flow based on what was right for us. At most, I would simply say, "I hope I don't..." or "I want to...". My father taught me well to be careful about what I say, though, so I rarely, if ever, make statements like "I'll never..." or "I'll always..." Hey, life happens - so I roll with the punches...most of the time.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I said I would never yell at my kids to "Turn that crap down" when they played their music loud as teenagers. I did... Then I got smart and bought them earplugs. But I did what I said I wouldn't--how could I envision that rap would be invented?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If you had asked me 8 years ago if I would be cosleeping with a 2 and 4 year old, nursing a 2 year old, cloth diapering, giving birth without pain meds and just about everything else I do I would have looked at you like you had 2 heads! Then I met my DH and some of his friends and all that changed!
    Anonymous